Re: [Distillers] Re: Off subject (Wine Making)

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
      I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not without water.

      yahpinot <pinotte23@...> wrote:
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > suitcase1499@a... writes:
      >
      > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
      totry
      > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
      > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
      not.
      > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
      > input.

      It may not be the place to add your question but you shoul never put
      any water. If the grape are not sweet enough you may have to add some
      sugar. I buy my grapes from california an I never add anything but
      yeast to activate the fermentation faster.

      Pin

    • yahpinot
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
        <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
        > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
        workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
        no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
        without water.

        You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
        banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
        does not contain enough. I am growing some grapes in my garden that I
        planted last year and living in Canada, I already know that the grapes
        will not be sweet enough and too much acid. I would never mix them
        with Merlot or Chardonnais because these cepages are far more superior
        in quality. When the grapes will be mature, I will never add water but
        I will have to do the procedure described by the guy I do not recall
        the name. I do not want to insult you but go read about wine because
        telling that a no water wine does not work is the weirdess thing I
        have heard.

        Pin
      • Brian Bashford
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hi all,

          I agree with Pin, I always thought that wine was traditionally made from all
          grape juice the same as cider (here in the UK) is made from apple juice. In
          the case of cider even the addition of store bought yeast is optional. Old
          timers relied on wild yeasts already floating around the cider works.
          Perhaps I should add that cider *should* be made solely from apple juice.
          It's an endangered species these days.

          Brian B.

          _____

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...> wrote:

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
            > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
            > > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
            > workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
            > no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
            > without water.
            > >

            > You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
            > banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
            > does not contain enough.

            I should have posted this link right from the outset. Then there'd be
            no argument.
            http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Home_Winemakers_Manual\inde
            x.htm

            178 pages. Click the little toolbar square icons to bring up a
            chapter index.

          • king pin
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
              I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way, if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif methodology.

              KP

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 3, 2005
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                > I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it
                the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates
                and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its
                easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if
                simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing
                machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned
                way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on
                tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part
                but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way,
                if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif
                methodology.

                > KP

                I am not a traditionalist. When I decided to make wine I just bought
                a book. Concentrate wines kits can be quite good but too many
                deceptions made me switch to real wine. I could never go back to
                concentrate wines.

                Pin