Re: [Distillers] aging rum?

  • Rick Strang
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      One rookie to another I have only done one rub so far and it was great.
      I got my wash recipe from the distillers site 4kg sugar 4kg molasses 20lt water and a pkt of 48hr turbo dual yeast it fermented to14%.
      I ran this through a pot still and got 3lt of very nice smelling 65% rum.
      Tony gave me the recipe for ageing which I used.
      I cut my rum to 40% and put it in 2lt flagons to which I added 2 teaspoons of molasses 2 teaspoons of caramelised white sugar 1teaspoon of American oak chips 1 teaspoon of charred oak chips(shavings) and 2 dried apricots.
      The end result was a very smooth and very tasty rum and it has only been 2 weeks.
      It was so good that I only have 2/ 700 ml bottles left .
      I have 2 more washes down and the only change I made was to add an extra 4kg of sugar to get the wash abv%up.
      From what I read before I started it is the molasses that it so good.
      Hope this helps.
      Rick.