Re: [Distillers] Re: aging rum?

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      Thanks Todd,
      Sounds like the cuts are pretty close to my cuts for making vodka. I also am glad that the column will not be a big mess. I really contemplated making a short unpacked column just for stripping. Now maybe I wont't have to.

      Roderick

      toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

      On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
      I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
      think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
      diminishing.

      I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
      last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
      when diluted.

      Todd K.

    • Rick Strang
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        One rookie to another I have only done one rub so far and it was great.
        I got my wash recipe from the distillers site 4kg sugar 4kg molasses 20lt water and a pkt of 48hr turbo dual yeast it fermented to14%.
        I ran this through a pot still and got 3lt of very nice smelling 65% rum.
        Tony gave me the recipe for ageing which I used.
        I cut my rum to 40% and put it in 2lt flagons to which I added 2 teaspoons of molasses 2 teaspoons of caramelised white sugar 1teaspoon of American oak chips 1 teaspoon of charred oak chips(shavings) and 2 dried apricots.
        The end result was a very smooth and very tasty rum and it has only been 2 weeks.
        It was so good that I only have 2/ 700 ml bottles left .
        I have 2 more washes down and the only change I made was to add an extra 4kg of sugar to get the wash abv%up.
        From what I read before I started it is the molasses that it so good.
        Hope this helps.
        Rick.