Re: aging rum?

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 2:53 PM
      On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
      I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
      think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
      diminishing.

      I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
      last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
      when diluted.

      Todd K.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
      <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
      > Todd,
      > Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try tonight. I already hame
      some toasted oak I can use for aging. I also like the idea of smaller
      jars at the beginning and end. Makes a lot of sense. I will also apply
      that technique to my vodka collection where the presence of heads and
      tails are even more apparent.

      > What temperature do you normally stop collecting your rum at? For my
      vodka, I usually stop at 79.4 C (175F)

      > Thanks,
      > Roderick

    • Roderick Holmes
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 3:03 PM
        Thanks Todd,
        Sounds like the cuts are pretty close to my cuts for making vodka. I also am glad that the column will not be a big mess. I really contemplated making a short unpacked column just for stripping. Now maybe I wont't have to.

        Roderick

        toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

        On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
        I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
        think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
        diminishing.

        I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
        last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
        when diluted.

        Todd K.

      • Rick Strang
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 3:51 PM
          One rookie to another I have only done one rub so far and it was great.
          I got my wash recipe from the distillers site 4kg sugar 4kg molasses 20lt water and a pkt of 48hr turbo dual yeast it fermented to14%.
          I ran this through a pot still and got 3lt of very nice smelling 65% rum.
          Tony gave me the recipe for ageing which I used.
          I cut my rum to 40% and put it in 2lt flagons to which I added 2 teaspoons of molasses 2 teaspoons of caramelised white sugar 1teaspoon of American oak chips 1 teaspoon of charred oak chips(shavings) and 2 dried apricots.
          The end result was a very smooth and very tasty rum and it has only been 2 weeks.
          It was so good that I only have 2/ 700 ml bottles left .
          I have 2 more washes down and the only change I made was to add an extra 4kg of sugar to get the wash abv%up.
          From what I read before I started it is the molasses that it so good.
          Hope this helps.
          Rick.