Re: aging rum?

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      I've done 4 or 5 runs with that column and have never unpacked it. I
      just run a few gallons of boiling water down it until the rinse water
      tastes clean and the suck test on the column tastes clean.

      Todd K.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
      <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
      > Todd,
      > One other thing. How messy does your packing get and how often do
      you have to unpack and clean your column? I use my packed column
      primarily for vodka so I was wondering if I need to plan to unpack and
      clean column after I run the rum wash. Usually when I run sugar washes
      for vodka, a good hot water rinse normally cleans the column pretty
      well without unpacking.

    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
        I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
        think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
        diminishing.

        I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
        last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
        when diluted.

        <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
        > Todd,
        > Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try tonight. I already hame
        some toasted oak I can use for aging. I also like the idea of smaller
        jars at the beginning and end. Makes a lot of sense. I will also apply
        that technique to my vodka collection where the presence of heads and
        tails are even more apparent.

        > What temperature do you normally stop collecting your rum at? For my
        vodka, I usually stop at 79.4 C (175F)

        > Thanks,
        > Roderick

      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thanks Todd,
          Sounds like the cuts are pretty close to my cuts for making vodka. I also am glad that the column will not be a big mess. I really contemplated making a short unpacked column just for stripping. Now maybe I wont't have to.

          Roderick

          toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

          On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
          I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
          think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
          diminishing.

          I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
          last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
          when diluted.

          Todd K.

        • Rick Strang
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
            One rookie to another I have only done one rub so far and it was great.
            I got my wash recipe from the distillers site 4kg sugar 4kg molasses 20lt water and a pkt of 48hr turbo dual yeast it fermented to14%.
            I ran this through a pot still and got 3lt of very nice smelling 65% rum.
            Tony gave me the recipe for ageing which I used.
            I cut my rum to 40% and put it in 2lt flagons to which I added 2 teaspoons of molasses 2 teaspoons of caramelised white sugar 1teaspoon of American oak chips 1 teaspoon of charred oak chips(shavings) and 2 dried apricots.
            The end result was a very smooth and very tasty rum and it has only been 2 weeks.
            It was so good that I only have 2/ 700 ml bottles left .
            I have 2 more washes down and the only change I made was to add an extra 4kg of sugar to get the wash abv%up.
            From what I read before I started it is the molasses that it so good.
            Hope this helps.
            Rick.