Re: Off subject (Wine Making)

  • yahpinot
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > derekhamlet@s... writes:
      >
      > It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
      > Ripe. Where are you?
      >

      > Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician
      to make wine
      > while an idiot could make whine.
      >
      > Suitcase

      Well what he is doing by adding water is not wine. In French it is
      called piquette. I made some three years in a row trying to improve
      the taste and the result was really not satisfying. If he likes to
      drink it there is no problem but myself I would not bother to make
      some anymore.

      Also derekhamlet is right about wine making. I buy my grapes from
      California in September because it is the season and I choose some
      good cepages so I do not bother with the PH and the sweetness
      because the grapes are generally acceptable already. He just go a
      step further which is good to have the best wine possible.

      Pin
    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
        I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not without water.

        yahpinot <pinotte23@...> wrote:
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > suitcase1499@a... writes:
        >
        > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
        totry
        > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
        > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
        not.
        > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
        > input.

        It may not be the place to add your question but you shoul never put
        any water. If the grape are not sweet enough you may have to add some
        sugar. I buy my grapes from california an I never add anything but
        yeast to activate the fermentation faster.

        Pin

      • yahpinot
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
          <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
          > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
          workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
          no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
          without water.

          You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
          banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
          does not contain enough. I am growing some grapes in my garden that I
          planted last year and living in Canada, I already know that the grapes
          will not be sweet enough and too much acid. I would never mix them
          with Merlot or Chardonnais because these cepages are far more superior
          in quality. When the grapes will be mature, I will never add water but
          I will have to do the procedure described by the guy I do not recall
          the name. I do not want to insult you but go read about wine because
          telling that a no water wine does not work is the weirdess thing I
          have heard.

          Pin
        • Brian Bashford
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
            Hi all,

            I agree with Pin, I always thought that wine was traditionally made from all
            grape juice the same as cider (here in the UK) is made from apple juice. In
            the case of cider even the addition of store bought yeast is optional. Old
            timers relied on wild yeasts already floating around the cider works.
            Perhaps I should add that cider *should* be made solely from apple juice.
            It's an endangered species these days.

            Brian B.

            _____

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...> wrote:

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
              > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
              > > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
              > workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
              > no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
              > without water.
              > >

              > You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
              > banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
              > does not contain enough.

              I should have posted this link right from the outset. Then there'd be
              no argument.
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Home_Winemakers_Manual\inde
              x.htm

              178 pages. Click the little toolbar square icons to bring up a
              chapter index.

            • king pin
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
                I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way, if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif methodology.

                KP

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 3, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                  <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                  > I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it
                  the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates
                  and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its
                  easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if
                  simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing
                  machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned
                  way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on
                  tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part
                  but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way,
                  if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif
                  methodology.

                  > KP

                  I am not a traditionalist. When I decided to make wine I just bought
                  a book. Concentrate wines kits can be quite good but too many
                  deceptions made me switch to real wine. I could never go back to
                  concentrate wines.

                  Pin