aging rum?

  • pure95percent
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      I am going to run a rum wash tonight and it got me thinking about
      aging. I read that the commercial distillers age their light rum on
      wood for a minimum of one year and dark rums for 3 years. Some char,
      some don't. Some charcoal filter.

      What should I do to improve drinkability if anything. Age on charred
      oak shavings? Uncharred oak? I know charcoal will remove some of the
      flavor but will it make it much smoother?

      I was contemplating leaving my packing in and running a reflux rate of
      1:2. Or should I just remove the packing and double distill?

      You guys are the pros..... I am a rookie. This will be my first attempt
      at rum.

      Roderick
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        I age for at least 6 weeks on 5 grams/ liter 40%abv of toasted oak
        chips (6 months is better!). I start the aging at 80% abv and add
        water in 1 or 2 steps to get to 40% abv. I also add some carmelized
        sugar syrup to it.

        For the run, I leave all the packing in my 48"x2" column. Set the
        burner so I'm condensing about 1kW and run off at about 25 ml/min
        (2.2:1 Reflux Ratio) I've tried to run it faster than this, but just
        have stability problems. So I find it easier to run at 25ml/min and
        separate into a bunch of jars (smaller jars in the beginning and end)
        and then go back after the run and blend the jars together by smell,
        taste, and diluted clarity. Obviously starting with the middle jars
        and working outwards towards both ends until the outer jars add
        objectionable characteristics.

        Todd K.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"
        <pure95percent@y...> wrote:

        > I am going to run a rum wash tonight and it got me thinking about
        > aging. I read that the commercial distillers age their light rum on
        > wood for a minimum of one year and dark rums for 3 years. Some
        char,
        > some don't. Some charcoal filter.
        >
        > What should I do to improve drinkability if anything. Age on
        charred
        > oak shavings? Uncharred oak? I know charcoal will remove some of
        the
        > flavor but will it make it much smoother?
        >
        > I was contemplating leaving my packing in and running a reflux rate
        of
        > 1:2. Or should I just remove the packing and double distill?
        >
        > You guys are the pros..... I am a rookie. This will be my first
        attempt
        > at rum.
        >

        > Roderick
      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
          Todd,
          Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try tonight. I already hame some toasted oak I can use for aging. I also like the idea of smaller jars at the beginning and end. Makes a lot of sense. I will also apply that technique to my vodka collection where the presence of heads and tails are even more apparent.

          What temperature do you normally stop collecting your rum at? For my vodka, I usually stop at 79.4 C (175F)

          Thanks,
          Roderick

          <pure95percent@y...> wrote:

          > I am going to run a rum wash tonight and it got me thinking about
          > aging. I read that the commercial distillers age their light rum on
          > wood for a minimum of one year and dark rums for 3 years. Some
          char,
          > some don't. Some charcoal filter.
          >
          > What should I do to improve drinkability if anything. Age on
          charred
          > oak shavings? Uncharred oak? I know charcoal will remove some of
          the
          > flavor but will it make it much smoother?
          >
          > I was contemplating leaving my packing in and running a reflux rate
          of
          > 1:2. Or should I just remove the packing and double distill?
          >
          > You guys are the pros..... I am a rookie. This will be my first
          attempt
          > at rum.
          >

          > Roderick

        • Roderick Holmes
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
            Todd,
            One other thing. How messy does your packing get and how often do you have to unpack and clean your column? I use my packed column primarily for vodka so I was wondering if I need to plan to unpack and clean column after I run the rum wash. Usually when I run sugar washes for vodka, a good hot water rinse normally cleans the column pretty well without unpacking.

            Roderick

            <pure95percent@y...> wrote:

            > I am going to run a rum wash tonight and it got me thinking about
            > aging. I read that the commercial distillers age their light rum on
            > wood for a minimum of one year and dark rums for 3 years. Some
            char,
            > some don't. Some charcoal filter.
            >
            > What should I do to improve drinkability if anything. Age on
            charred
            > oak shavings? Uncharred oak? I know charcoal will remove some of
            the
            > flavor but will it make it much smoother?
            >
            > I was contemplating leaving my packing in and running a reflux rate
            of
            > 1:2. Or should I just remove the packing and double distill?
            >
            > You guys are the pros..... I am a rookie. This will be my first
            attempt
            > at rum.
            >

            > Roderick

          • toddk63
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
              I've done 4 or 5 runs with that column and have never unpacked it. I
              just run a few gallons of boiling water down it until the rinse water
              tastes clean and the suck test on the column tastes clean.

              Todd K.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
                I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
                think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
                diminishing.

                I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
                last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
                when diluted.

                <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                > Todd,
                > Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try tonight. I already hame
                some toasted oak I can use for aging. I also like the idea of smaller
                jars at the beginning and end. Makes a lot of sense. I will also apply
                that technique to my vodka collection where the presence of heads and
                tails are even more apparent.

                > What temperature do you normally stop collecting your rum at? For my
                vodka, I usually stop at 79.4 C (175F)

                > Thanks,
                > Roderick

              • Roderick Holmes
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Thanks Todd,
                  Sounds like the cuts are pretty close to my cuts for making vodka. I also am glad that the column will not be a big mess. I really contemplated making a short unpacked column just for stripping. Now maybe I wont't have to.

                  Roderick

                  toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

                  On my last batch, the last jar to make into the middle was at 174.3F.
                  I collected tails until 195.0F, but that has more to do with when I
                  think the time value of waiting for a little more output is
                  diminishing.

                  I did a batch where I tried to collect faster than 25ml/min and the
                  last middle jar was at 180F. The results were a tad harsh and cloudy
                  when diluted.

                  Todd K.

                • Rick Strang
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                    One rookie to another I have only done one rub so far and it was great.
                    I got my wash recipe from the distillers site 4kg sugar 4kg molasses 20lt water and a pkt of 48hr turbo dual yeast it fermented to14%.
                    I ran this through a pot still and got 3lt of very nice smelling 65% rum.
                    Tony gave me the recipe for ageing which I used.
                    I cut my rum to 40% and put it in 2lt flagons to which I added 2 teaspoons of molasses 2 teaspoons of caramelised white sugar 1teaspoon of American oak chips 1 teaspoon of charred oak chips(shavings) and 2 dried apricots.
                    The end result was a very smooth and very tasty rum and it has only been 2 weeks.
                    It was so good that I only have 2/ 700 ml bottles left .
                    I have 2 more washes down and the only change I made was to add an extra 4kg of sugar to get the wash abv%up.
                    From what I read before I started it is the molasses that it so good.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Rick.