Re: [Distillers] Off subject (Wine Making)

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
      Most of the recipes I have call for 2 to 3 lb of fruit per gal. Ive made some with less but there kinda weak. I use frozen concentrate per label to supliment sometimes. Dont leave the seeds in more than 3 to 5 days or youll get too much tannin from the seeds. Try to use fruit pecton enzyme if you can . It breaks down the friut to get more sugar and flavor. As for the yeast you can use 1 pack for up to 15 gal. It just take more nutriants and time for the yeast to populate the wash. The first 24 to48 hours the yeast multiply to a certain concentration then start makin good stuff. For large batches I use a 1qt starter with orange juice and sugar. Gets going faster. If you need recipes give me a holler. PS. Try some Jalipino or Jolly Rancher Candy wine.

      suitcase1498 <suitcase1499@...> wrote:
      My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
      another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
      sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
      I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
      input.

      Suitcase

    • Julia
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
        Last year I picked whole lot of grapes from our vine and I made 5 big jars of grapes wine, it was super good and sweet. The recipe was from my mom. It was pretty easy to make. Rince the grapes and dry them, keep them whole not crushed. Place them into dry glass jar, one layer grapes, one layer sugar, close the lid tight and place in dark place, 10 days later let the air out , just turn the lid let the air out and tighten it back, 10 days later let the air out again. 2-3 month later you will have sweet grapes wine to drink. If you don't like too sweet, you can reduce sugar. One thing I heard is market bought grapes not good for making wine.

        Here is the recipe:

        grapes 1.10lb
        sugar 5.30oz

        Good luck
        Julia

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
          In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          suitcase1499@... writes:

          My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
          another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
          sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
          I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
          input.

          Suitcase

          that sounds like what my dad did suit
          harle

        • yahpinot
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            > suitcase1499@a... writes:
            >
            > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
            totry
            > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
            > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
            not.
            > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
            > input.

            It may not be the place to add your question but you shoul never put
            any water. If the grape are not sweet enough you may have to add some
            sugar. I buy my grapes from california an I never add anything but
            yeast to activate the fermentation faster.

            Pin
          • yahpinot
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > derekhamlet@s... writes:
              >
              > It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
              > Ripe. Where are you?
              >

              > Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician
              to make wine
              > while an idiot could make whine.
              >
              > Suitcase

              Well what he is doing by adding water is not wine. In French it is
              called piquette. I made some three years in a row trying to improve
              the taste and the result was really not satisfying. If he likes to
              drink it there is no problem but myself I would not bother to make
              some anymore.

              Also derekhamlet is right about wine making. I buy my grapes from
              California in September because it is the season and I choose some
              good cepages so I do not bother with the PH and the sweetness
              because the grapes are generally acceptable already. He just go a
              step further which is good to have the best wine possible.

              Pin
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2005
                I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not without water.

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                  <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                  > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                  workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                  no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                  without water.

                  You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                  banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                  does not contain enough. I am growing some grapes in my garden that I
                  planted last year and living in Canada, I already know that the grapes
                  will not be sweet enough and too much acid. I would never mix them
                  with Merlot or Chardonnais because these cepages are far more superior
                  in quality. When the grapes will be mature, I will never add water but
                  I will have to do the procedure described by the guy I do not recall
                  the name. I do not want to insult you but go read about wine because
                  telling that a no water wine does not work is the weirdess thing I
                  have heard.

                  Pin
                • Brian Bashford
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
                    Hi all,

                    I agree with Pin, I always thought that wine was traditionally made from all
                    grape juice the same as cider (here in the UK) is made from apple juice. In
                    the case of cider even the addition of store bought yeast is optional. Old
                    timers relied on wild yeasts already floating around the cider works.
                    Perhaps I should add that cider *should* be made solely from apple juice.
                    It's an endangered species these days.

                    Brian B.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...> wrote:

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                      > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                      > > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                      > workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                      > no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                      > without water.
                      > >

                      > You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                      > banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                      > does not contain enough.

                      I should have posted this link right from the outset. Then there'd be
                      no argument.
                      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Home_Winemakers_Manual\inde
                      x.htm

                      178 pages. Click the little toolbar square icons to bring up a
                      chapter index.

                    • king pin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2005
                        I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way, if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif methodology.

                        KP

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 3, 2005
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                          <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                          > I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it
                          the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates
                          and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its
                          easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if
                          simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing
                          machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned
                          way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on
                          tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part
                          but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way,
                          if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif
                          methodology.

                          > KP

                          I am not a traditionalist. When I decided to make wine I just bought
                          a book. Concentrate wines kits can be quite good but too many
                          deceptions made me switch to real wine. I could never go back to
                          concentrate wines.

                          Pin