Re: [Distillers] Off subject (Wine Making)

  • king pin
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
      Well Suit, I'll give you what little I know regarding the subject. There is a vast difference between table grapes and wine making grapes. (Although we know almost anything can be fermented). I've been making wine for about 20 yrs now. Usually purchase grapes from Cali, as they get more sun, ergo, higher sugar content. I allow the wild yeast to do its job. No kits, no added sugar and *gasp* no hydrometer readings. Then again, I'm doing it the old fashioned way, an art thats almost dead now. Its much easier to just buy the juice and add yeast these days. If you have any Q's I may be able to answer, feel free to mail me directly.

      Regards,

      KP

      suitcase1499@... wrote:

      In a message dated 4/1/2005 12:07:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      suitcase1499@... writes:

      In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      derekhamlet@... writes:

      It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
      Ripe. Where are you?

      Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician to make wine
      While an idiot could make whine.

      Suitcase

      Oh yea Bananas don't grow here neither but guess what we can buy em.

      Suitcase

    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1 2:51 AM
        Most of the recipes I have call for 2 to 3 lb of fruit per gal. Ive made some with less but there kinda weak. I use frozen concentrate per label to supliment sometimes. Dont leave the seeds in more than 3 to 5 days or youll get too much tannin from the seeds. Try to use fruit pecton enzyme if you can . It breaks down the friut to get more sugar and flavor. As for the yeast you can use 1 pack for up to 15 gal. It just take more nutriants and time for the yeast to populate the wash. The first 24 to48 hours the yeast multiply to a certain concentration then start makin good stuff. For large batches I use a 1qt starter with orange juice and sugar. Gets going faster. If you need recipes give me a holler. PS. Try some Jalipino or Jolly Rancher Candy wine.

        suitcase1498 <suitcase1499@...> wrote:
        My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
        another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
        sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
        I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
        input.

        Suitcase

      • Julia
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1 5:10 AM
          Last year I picked whole lot of grapes from our vine and I made 5 big jars of grapes wine, it was super good and sweet. The recipe was from my mom. It was pretty easy to make. Rince the grapes and dry them, keep them whole not crushed. Place them into dry glass jar, one layer grapes, one layer sugar, close the lid tight and place in dark place, 10 days later let the air out , just turn the lid let the air out and tighten it back, 10 days later let the air out again. 2-3 month later you will have sweet grapes wine to drink. If you don't like too sweet, you can reduce sugar. One thing I heard is market bought grapes not good for making wine.

          Here is the recipe:

          grapes 1.10lb
          sugar 5.30oz

          Good luck
          Julia

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1 5:49 AM
            In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            suitcase1499@... writes:

            My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
            another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
            sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
            I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
            input.

            Suitcase

            that sounds like what my dad did suit
            harle

          • yahpinot
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1 1:48 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              > suitcase1499@a... writes:
              >
              > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
              totry
              > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
              > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
              not.
              > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
              > input.

              It may not be the place to add your question but you shoul never put
              any water. If the grape are not sweet enough you may have to add some
              sugar. I buy my grapes from california an I never add anything but
              yeast to activate the fermentation faster.

              Pin
            • yahpinot
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1 2:07 PM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

                > In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > derekhamlet@s... writes:
                >
                > It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
                > Ripe. Where are you?
                >

                > Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician
                to make wine
                > while an idiot could make whine.
                >
                > Suitcase

                Well what he is doing by adding water is not wine. In French it is
                called piquette. I made some three years in a row trying to improve
                the taste and the result was really not satisfying. If he likes to
                drink it there is no problem but myself I would not bother to make
                some anymore.

                Also derekhamlet is right about wine making. I buy my grapes from
                California in September because it is the season and I choose some
                good cepages so I do not bother with the PH and the sweetness
                because the grapes are generally acceptable already. He just go a
                step further which is good to have the best wine possible.

                Pin
              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1 4:20 PM
                  I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not without water.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2 1:13 PM
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                    <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                    > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                    workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                    no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                    without water.

                    You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                    banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                    does not contain enough. I am growing some grapes in my garden that I
                    planted last year and living in Canada, I already know that the grapes
                    will not be sweet enough and too much acid. I would never mix them
                    with Merlot or Chardonnais because these cepages are far more superior
                    in quality. When the grapes will be mature, I will never add water but
                    I will have to do the procedure described by the guy I do not recall
                    the name. I do not want to insult you but go read about wine because
                    telling that a no water wine does not work is the weirdess thing I
                    have heard.

                    Pin
                  • Brian Bashford
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2 1:28 PM
                      Hi all,

                      I agree with Pin, I always thought that wine was traditionally made from all
                      grape juice the same as cider (here in the UK) is made from apple juice. In
                      the case of cider even the addition of store bought yeast is optional. Old
                      timers relied on wild yeasts already floating around the cider works.
                      Perhaps I should add that cider *should* be made solely from apple juice.
                      It's an endangered species these days.

                      Brian B.

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2 1:38 PM
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...> wrote:

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                        > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                        > > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                        > workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                        > no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                        > without water.
                        > >

                        > You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                        > banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                        > does not contain enough.

                        I should have posted this link right from the outset. Then there'd be
                        no argument.
                        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Home_Winemakers_Manual\inde
                        x.htm

                        178 pages. Click the little toolbar square icons to bring up a
                        chapter index.

                      • king pin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2 9:39 PM
                          I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way, if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif methodology.

                          KP

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 3 4:52 AM
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                            <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                            > I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it
                            the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates
                            and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its
                            easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if
                            simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing
                            machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned
                            way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on
                            tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part
                            but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way,
                            if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif
                            methodology.

                            > KP

                            I am not a traditionalist. When I decided to make wine I just bought
                            a book. Concentrate wines kits can be quite good but too many
                            deceptions made me switch to real wine. I could never go back to
                            concentrate wines.

                            Pin