Re: [Distillers] Re: Research on cirrhosis

  • Edward Dotson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 3:43 PM
      I remember as a small boy, a favorite uncle of mine worked for the
      United States Forest Service in western North Carolina. Much of this
      region was settled by Scots and Irish who brought along their distilling
      skills and heritage. As you can imagine my uncle wandering through the
      Blue Ridge Mountains came upon many stills and knew just about every
      moonshiner in several counties. He said there were two kinds of
      moonshiners, the ones for whom it was an art as well as a way to
      supplement farm income. They built good, safe stills, made real grain
      mash and made fine whiskey. Then there was the other type. They built
      stills out of any old sort of crap barrels they could come across, used
      truck radiators (lead solder) for condensers and made hurry up mashes
      from a little corn and much sugar. Worse than mere thieves, they had no
      concern for the welfare of the customers. They were often on the run not
      only from the law, but from customers as well. So, this is nothing new,
      thieves and charlatans give the craft as bad name. My old uncle would be
      proud to know that there are devoted amateur artisans carrying on the craft.

      Ed