Off subject (Wine Making)

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
      My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
      another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
      sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
      I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
      input.

      Suitcase
    • Snowblind Moose
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
        Just a thought, Suit - but on the packages of Prestige "pot
        distiller's yeast", it says "also usable for fruit wines". I used to
        make wine in the old days, I was never very good at it. I've made
        some fruit mashes with the pot distillers yeast that smelled and
        tasted better when I racked it off than my wine did. I'll bet that
        if
        it was left to clear, and age a bit it would be alright.

        It's probably no match for the old ways, with lots of trial and error
        and all - but, how much effort do you want to put into it?

        -Tony

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
        wrote:

        > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
        totry
        > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
        > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
        not.
        > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
        > input.
        >
        > Suitcase
      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
          Suit...check this out... http://tinyurl.com/7xl4n
          ...to get a 'sweet' you need to 'stick' the ferment before the sugar is gone
          OR add sugar to the final product....good luck...:>)
          Levi

          (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
          >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@...>
          >Subject: [Distillers] Off subject (Wine Making)
          >My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
          >another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
          >sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
          >I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
          >input.
          >
          >Suitcase

        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
            Suit

            No expert here but I am learning as I go. I have a secondary ferment
            going right now. But I bought a ready to go kit from the local wine
            shop.

            My reading tells me that the wild yeast that would naturally inhabit
            the air are not what you want.

            There is a product that kills the yeast with a sulfide gas for a 24
            hour period and then use winemaker's yeast, ec1118 being one, to
            ferment the fruit.

            I have tried it over the years and have never made anything fit to
            drink.

            That's about the receipe that I have used in the past. 1 sugar, 1
            fruit and 1 water. Really, whatever it takes to get the sg to the
            same place we are with the corn mash. -- 1.09

            But this one, so far, tastes pretty good.

            The wine concentrate in the kit has been cured of the offending yeast.

            Not a cheep route though. The concentrate and powder packets were
            about 50 bucks.

            But u don't have to buy any sugar either. It makes about 6 gallons.

            cary r

            wrote:

            > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
            > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
            > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
            not.
            > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
            > input.
            >
            > Suitcase
          • donald holcombe

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
                Oh begorrah (Where to begin)
                It's really easy to make bad wine. It's not too hard to make a passable
                wine from a kit, but, really good wine from grapes takes more than guess
                work and a recipe.
                First of all, what kind of grapes?????? Are they table grapes or wine
                grapes. It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
                ripe. Where are you?
                Now that you know what kind of grapes they are you need to determine the
                kind of product you are aiming for.
                Y'all need to know the specific gravity, ph and titratable acids. In
                addition, some knowledge of yeasts and what flavors they tend to draw out
                of the grapes is important. Then there are nutrients (always a good
                idea). I tend to use Goferm.
                For a big red a starting s.g. of 1.075-1.1 is the range. It gets more
                dangerous at the upper end. ph should be about 3.52 and TA of 6.5 or so.
                In a pinch use the old EC1118 for yeast and let it rip.
                Grapes at the market,.......... I just don't know.
                At 02:12 PM 3/31/05, you wrote:

                >My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
                >another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
                >sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
                >I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
                >input.
                >
                >Suitcase

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Derek Hamlet
                Victoria, B.C.

              • suitcase1499@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
                  In a message dated 3/31/2005 7:53:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  rhodeseng@... writes:

                  But this one, so far, tastes pretty good.

                  The wine concentrate in the kit has been cured of the offending yeast.

                  Not a cheep route though. The concentrate and powder packets were
                  about 50 bucks.

                  But u don't have to buy any sugar either. It makes about 6 gallons.

                  Thanks for the info, I used a yeast I bought a a homebrew shop made for wine
                  don't remember the name but I used 2 packs cause it said 1 pack was good for 5
                  gallons and I made about 8. Used 8 lbs grapes 8 lbs sugar 1/2 gal. pure grape
                  juice 7.5 gal. water SG 1.090. Put in in about 8:00pm and its already
                  bubbling, And it's a little after 10:00 pm here.

                  Suitcase

                • bradr36
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

                    > Thanks for the info, I used a yeast I bought a a homebrew shop made
                    > for wine don't remember the name but I used 2 packs cause it said 1
                    > pack was good for 5 gallons and I made about 8. Used 8 lbs grapes 8
                    > lbs sugar 1/2 gal. pure grape juice 7.5 gal. water SG 1.090. Put in
                    > in about 8:00pm and its already bubbling, And it's a little after
                    > 10:00 pm here.
                    >
                    > Suitcase
                    ===========================
                    Suitcase, keep us up to date how it works out. Curious to see how it
                    will work out. How did you prep the grapes?

                    BR
                  • suitcase1499@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
                      In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      derekhamlet@... writes:

                      It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
                      Ripe. Where are you?

                      Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician to make wine
                      while an idiot could make whine.

                      Suitcase

                    • suitcase1499@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
                        In a message dated 3/31/2005 10:31:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        bradr36@... writes:

                        Suitcase, keep us up to date how it works out. Curious to see how it
                        will work out. How did you prep the grapes?

                        BR

                        I used a SS potato masher my wife uses in the kitchen to mash them as I know
                        if the skin isn't broken they don't work. As for now it seems to be working
                        off as normal bubbling good after 4 hours.

                        Suitcase

                      • suitcase1499@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005

                          derekhamlet@... writes:

                          It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
                          Ripe. Where are you?

                          Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician to make wine
                          While an idiot could make whine.

                          Suitcase

                          Oh yea Bananas don't grow here neither but guess what we can buy em.

                          Suitcase

                        • king pin

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 1 5:10 AM
                                Last year I picked whole lot of grapes from our vine and I made 5 big jars of grapes wine, it was super good and sweet. The recipe was from my mom. It was pretty easy to make. Rince the grapes and dry them, keep them whole not crushed. Place them into dry glass jar, one layer grapes, one layer sugar, close the lid tight and place in dark place, 10 days later let the air out , just turn the lid let the air out and tighten it back, 10 days later let the air out again. 2-3 month later you will have sweet grapes wine to drink. If you don't like too sweet, you can reduce sugar. One thing I heard is market bought grapes not good for making wine.

                                Here is the recipe:

                                grapes 1.10lb
                                sugar 5.30oz

                                Good luck
                                Julia

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 1 5:49 AM
                                  In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  suitcase1499@... writes:

                                  My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me totry
                                  another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
                                  sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or not.
                                  I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
                                  input.

                                  Suitcase

                                  that sounds like what my dad did suit
                                  harle

                                • yahpinot
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 1 1:48 PM
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 3/31/2005 2:14:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                    > suitcase1499@a... writes:
                                    >
                                    > My wife bought some grapes on sale at the market and want's me
                                    totry
                                    > another round of wine. I was told to use 1lb of grapes and 1 lb of
                                    > sugar per gallon of water does anyone know if this is correct or
                                    not.
                                    > I made some a while back and it was to dry. Thanks for any info or
                                    > input.

                                    It may not be the place to add your question but you shoul never put
                                    any water. If the grape are not sweet enough you may have to add some
                                    sugar. I buy my grapes from california an I never add anything but
                                    yeast to activate the fermentation faster.

                                    Pin
                                  • yahpinot
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 1 2:07 PM
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

                                      > In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                      > derekhamlet@s... writes:
                                      >
                                      > It's way too fucking early for any N. American grape to be
                                      > Ripe. Where are you?
                                      >

                                      > Pardon me for bothering you, I didn't realize it took a magician
                                      to make wine
                                      > while an idiot could make whine.
                                      >
                                      > Suitcase

                                      Well what he is doing by adding water is not wine. In French it is
                                      called piquette. I made some three years in a row trying to improve
                                      the taste and the result was really not satisfying. If he likes to
                                      drink it there is no problem but myself I would not bother to make
                                      some anymore.

                                      Also derekhamlet is right about wine making. I buy my grapes from
                                      California in September because it is the season and I choose some
                                      good cepages so I do not bother with the PH and the sweetness
                                      because the grapes are generally acceptable already. He just go a
                                      step further which is good to have the best wine possible.

                                      Pin
                                    • donald holcombe
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 1 4:20 PM
                                        I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not without water.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 2 1:13 PM
                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                          <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                                          > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                                          workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                                          no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                                          without water.

                                          You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                                          banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                                          does not contain enough. I am growing some grapes in my garden that I
                                          planted last year and living in Canada, I already know that the grapes
                                          will not be sweet enough and too much acid. I would never mix them
                                          with Merlot or Chardonnais because these cepages are far more superior
                                          in quality. When the grapes will be mature, I will never add water but
                                          I will have to do the procedure described by the guy I do not recall
                                          the name. I do not want to insult you but go read about wine because
                                          telling that a no water wine does not work is the weirdess thing I
                                          have heard.

                                          Pin
                                        • Brian Bashford
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 2 1:28 PM
                                            Hi all,

                                            I agree with Pin, I always thought that wine was traditionally made from all
                                            grape juice the same as cider (here in the UK) is made from apple juice. In
                                            the case of cider even the addition of store bought yeast is optional. Old
                                            timers relied on wild yeasts already floating around the cider works.
                                            Perhaps I should add that cider *should* be made solely from apple juice.
                                            It's an endangered species these days.

                                            Brian B.

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 2 1:38 PM
                                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...> wrote:

                                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                              > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                                              > > I know several people who have tried a no water wine and it dont
                                              > workPH and titration can be way off! I cant see how you can expect a
                                              > no water wine to work. I can make wine from almost anything but not
                                              > without water.
                                              > >

                                              > You are kidding me on April fool day right? If you make a wine from
                                              > banana or some other fruts, you may have to add water if the fruit
                                              > does not contain enough.

                                              I should have posted this link right from the outset. Then there'd be
                                              no argument.
                                              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Home_Winemakers_Manual\inde
                                              x.htm

                                              178 pages. Click the little toolbar square icons to bring up a
                                              chapter index.

                                            • king pin
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 2 9:39 PM
                                                I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way, if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif methodology.

                                                KP

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 3 4:52 AM
                                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                                                  <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                                                  > I think that Pin is prob a traditionalist, like myself, doing it
                                                  the old fashioned way.(though I could be wrong). Juice concentrates
                                                  and kits have changed the way things are done now a days. Its
                                                  easier for the common person to make wine, rather than buy it, if
                                                  simply adding yeast is involved. No need for crushing or pressing
                                                  machines. I'll be the first to admit, doing it the old fashioned
                                                  way, is a mess and a fuckload of work but I do it to carry on
                                                  tradition. Personally, I've never heard of the adding water part
                                                  but I'm doing it the way it was done generations ago. Either way,
                                                  if the product pleases you, there is no wrong way, just dif
                                                  methodology.

                                                  > KP

                                                  I am not a traditionalist. When I decided to make wine I just bought
                                                  a book. Concentrate wines kits can be quite good but too many
                                                  deceptions made me switch to real wine. I could never go back to
                                                  concentrate wines.

                                                  Pin