Re: Regarding separation of the barley husk,

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 12:58 PM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@d...>
      wrote:

      > I would be fermenting on the grain, not sparging.

      Feed store barley should work fine, but the quality will only be as
      good as the quality of the grain. Where I come from (now central
      Tennessee) feed store barley is quite dusty and often has some mildew.
      If the grain is clean and high quality, There is no need to remove the
      husks from the milled grain, just break the kernal coarsely to expose
      the starchy endosperm. The husk contains no fermentables, and is
      inert. Milling the barley to remove the husk, a process called
      "pearling" will waste a considerable quantity of starch and any
      malting enzymes present.