True story... "There I was..."

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      Submitted for your enlightenment and entertainment:
      When I built my first column still, about three years ago, I had
      not discovered this forum. I had collected books on small scale
      distillation, and been interested in "living history" and "down home"
      activities for many years. I knew personally two women that ran small
      pot stills in their garage for spending money, (but that is another
      story). Finally decided to take the plunge and build a still. I put
      together a packed column still of my own design with a stainless pot,
      copper column and coil. I thought if I ever needed to explain the
      still, I could claim to be making fuel. (hey, it burns in my lawn
      mower!) There I was; out in the barn, twenty minutes till midnight;
      first run; everything was cooking just right. I couldn't wait to taste
      the product. I ran off the first half pint for safety sake then
      collected the next half pint in a sealer. I took a sip.... it was
      warm, slightly sweet, but mostly tasteless. Maybe just the tiniest
      taste of yeast. I took another sip...The next thing I know, I'm
      sitting flat on my ass on the floor! I swear on my mothers grave! I
      didn't feel a thing. To this day I don't know how I got there! What is
      even funnier is that I had been sitting in an aluminum webbing lawn
      chair at the time. When I got around to examining the chair, I
      discovered that the front two legs of the lawn chair had broken across
      and completely collapsed tipping me out of the chair onto the floor.
      That durn lawn chair had just plain bucked me off.
      MORAL: When you first tempt fate by creating the elixir of life,
      BUY A STRONGER LAWN CHAIR!!