Re: Research on cirrhosis

  • popwahtosh
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
      wrote:
      > I scanned over the article and got the impression that the 'home
      made
      > spirits' wasnt being made for the distillers personal
      consumption,as much as
      > for profit...prohibition era 'bathtub gin' was 'home made'...
      > ........cheap ingredients+more output = more profit/inferior
      > product.....JMPO...:>)
      > Levi
      > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
      > >From: "T. Durkin" <durkin.t@c...>
      > >Subject: [Distillers] Research on cirrhosis
      > >I ran across an interesting research article yesterday.
      > >Anyone have any knowledge/comments on the home production process
      in this
      > >area and how it differs from everywhere else?
      > >
      > >TD
      > =====================

      Firstly, note the phrase……"a possible risk factor is the consumption
      of illegally produced home-made spirits" That tells me that the study
      was not very scientific.

      Secondly, We no live in the dark ages when countries were isolated
      from each other.We now can share ideas and techniques with friends
      throughout the world. The home distiller is no exception. We are a
      knowledgeable lot. We work together as one.We produce superior
      products which are safe to consume. And…we pretty much know what the
      hell we're doing.

      It would be interesting to know how these folks isolated Europeans
      from the rest of the world to conduct this study.

      I say It's scare tactics. If not ….,these people are really, really
      misinformed.(AKA dumb)

      Pop's opinion

      > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
      it's FREE!
    • Henry Stamp
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
        if they want to do some serious study on this, compare the rates of
        cirrhosis in new zealand to other similar socio-economic countries who
        dont have legal home distilling laws on the books.

        --
        --henry

      • Edward Dotson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
          I remember as a small boy, a favorite uncle of mine worked for the
          United States Forest Service in western North Carolina. Much of this
          region was settled by Scots and Irish who brought along their distilling
          skills and heritage. As you can imagine my uncle wandering through the
          Blue Ridge Mountains came upon many stills and knew just about every
          moonshiner in several counties. He said there were two kinds of
          moonshiners, the ones for whom it was an art as well as a way to
          supplement farm income. They built good, safe stills, made real grain
          mash and made fine whiskey. Then there was the other type. They built
          stills out of any old sort of crap barrels they could come across, used
          truck radiators (lead solder) for condensers and made hurry up mashes
          from a little corn and much sugar. Worse than mere thieves, they had no
          concern for the welfare of the customers. They were often on the run not
          only from the law, but from customers as well. So, this is nothing new,
          thieves and charlatans give the craft as bad name. My old uncle would be
          proud to know that there are devoted amateur artisans carrying on the craft.

          Ed