Simple syrup crystallizing

  • popwahtosh
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2005
      Can anyone tell me if simple syrup will still crystallize after being
      mixed with 40% alcohol? If so,I've heard that boiling the sugar water
      may prevent this from happening under any circumstances. True or not???

      Thanks,

      Pop
    • Steve Sells
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2005
        Pop,

        One way to keep Sugar from forming crystals is by heating (making a 'simple
        syrup') But even that won't stop crystals from forming sometimes,
        especially when high concentrations of sugar are present. Having said
        that, by adding a small portion of Corn Syrup (which is mostly Glucose) to
        the table sugar solution will help prevent crystals, because the glucose
        interrupts the other sugars from bonding to each other, whioch is how they
        form crystals, So this way they stay in solution better.

        ( example 10 oz. table sugar, 2 to 4 oz corn syrup )

        Steve the typo king!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2005
          Sugar crystals will only form in a supersaturated solution - at room
          temp. this means more than 2 cups sugar per 1 cup of water. you can add
          gum arabic (or other food grade gum) to prevent crystallization.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me if simple syrup will still crystallize after
          being
          > mixed with 40% alcohol? If so,I've heard that boiling the sugar
          water
          > may prevent this from happening under any circumstances. True or
          not???

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Pop
        • popwahtosh