Re: [Distillers] Pot still performance/doubler

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 12:28 PM

      A doubler is 2nd stage distillation chamber and it usually doubles the concentration. With my douber, I can get about 65%. In my case, I Have a 60litre boiler, the vapour goes from that to a 24 litre pressure cooker which I use as a Doubler.The tube from the boiler goes through the lid of the doubler to within 3cm from the bottom. The outlet tube from the doubler is also attached to the top of the doubler and is flush with the top. It leads to the condensor. You fill the doubler with some of the wash, enough so that the intake tube is below the surface. The doubler has no independent heat source, just the hot vapour from the boiler which bubbles through the liquid. In terms of temerature, it is the temp of the doubler that is important.

       Naturally, the input and output tubes from the doubler must be sealed as they  pass through the doubler so the vapour can't escape. At 65% alcohol, you may as well be playing with gasoline vapour, it's very inflammable! I do my runs outside. The burner, which is 40,000 btu, is 3.5 meters from the condensor and seperated by a barrier. I'm thinking of putting a fan between the condensor and the boiler to blew any stray vapour away from the burner just in case.

      The doubler doesn't have to be as big as mine. That's just what I have. The doubler is also known as a bubbler or a thumper pot and when in use, it makes a soft thumping noise as the bubbles rise through the wash.

      Rob

      @...> wrote:

      I use propane too.
      I drank my first batch yesterday. The alcool was about
      35-40%. But the stuff was foggy. So I think some high
      alcohol got into it. But I didn't go blind and it
      tasted pretty good :-)

      What is a doubler btw ? ;-)

      Thank you.
      Procule

      --- Robert Mitchell wrote:

      > Compared to you I am a vetern at the this. I've
      > just finished my second run!
      > What sort of heat source are you using? I use
      > propane and it is very responsive but dangerous
      > unless you use it outside. Have you considered using
      > a doubler?
      > I too had a hard time finding a hydrometer which
      > could measure high alcohol concentrations.Finally I
      > found one in a big wine and breww shop, the kind
      > that imports grapes or grape juice in huge tanker
      > trucks in the fall for home wine makers. I went in
      > the fall to get my yearly grape juice for my wine
      > and while checking out the gadgets, I found a
      > hydromeeter that could measure up to 100%,. I asked
      > the clerk why a wine stoe would carry such an item
      > and he told me that I'd be surprized as to how many
      > stills there are around. I acted surprized)). If you
      > live near a city with a large Italian population,
      > you'll probably find a store like that. Bon Chance!
      > Procule le Guizou wrote: Hi
      > there!
      > My first batch is ready.
      > :-)
      >
      > I've just collected a "presto" to make a better
      > still and I threw my
      > must into it.
      >
      > Well, I had some practical problem (I need to work a
      > bit on my still),
      > but I got alcohol ! (wow).
      >
      > from a 900ml (test) batch at 10%, I got about 100ml
      > at something like
      > 40% (I don't have an alcohol hydrometer to verify it
      > accurately).
      >
      > but i am supposed to get about 225ml of 40% alcohol.
      > Where did the
      > rest go ? Should I get more alcohol at a lower % ?
      >
      > Also, since it is only a 900ml batch, should I add
      > water to the must
      > to get a better control on the temperature ?
      >
      > If there is people here with pot stills, can you
      > describe me your
      > technique. ;-)
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Procule
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > Terms of Service.

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6 8:41 PM
        << In my case, I Have a 60litre boiler, the vapour goes from that to a 24
        litre pressure cooker which I use as a Doubler.The tube from the boiler goes
        through the lid of the doubler to within 3cm from the bottom. The outlet
        tube from the doubler is also attached to the top of the doubler and is
        flush with the top. It leads to the condensor. The doubler doesn't have to
        be as big as mine. That's just what I have. >>

        I just wanted to note that my basic rule of thumb for doubler/thumper size
        [this is not in any way meant to say that there is anything wrong with the
        size noted above] is to have a doubler twice the size of the expected/known
        output (collected spirit). In other words if you collect 1 liter of spirit,
        your doubler should be 2 liters in size.

        The doubler should be filled about 1/3 with either wash, neutral spirit, or
        a 50/50 mix. You can put other liquids and items in the doubler, but I will
        talk about that later.

        The tube that comes from the boiler and goes into the doubler should go all
        of the way down within centimeters from the bottom of the doubler. I put
        screening held on by a hose clamp on the end of the tube to create tiny
        bubbles as the vapor come through the tube and mixes with the doubler
        solution.

        A good doubler will have an over flow tube to make sure the solution in the
        doubler stays at the same volume. I like to put what some people call a
        "slobber box" on my doubler for the over flow with the output tube of the
        slobber box going right back into the doubler, but above the liquid level.
        The slobber box catches all of the extra liquid, but allows for the vapor to
        still pass through to the condenser.

        some of the other things that you can put into the doubler are things like
        herbs. Some people like to put mint into their doubler because mint has an
        alcohol soluble oil and that oil gets carried right into your collected
        spirit. I know some folks that like to fill their doubler with neutral
        spirit and the leaves from their marijuana plants (they put the leaves in
        there because the flowers, the stuff you smoke, are too valuable to use, and
        the leaves have a smaller about of THC, the stuff that give the "high"
        feeling) and make an interesting drink that will take care of you for about
        two hours. You only want to drink one ounce of this drink a night. There are
        a million other alcohol soluble things that would make great drinks that you
        can put into your doubler.

        LEGAL NOTE: The things that I talk about on this list do not that I am
        suggesting to anyone that they try to replicate the things said. I only
        offer this information to spread knowledge. I am not suggesting that anyone
        break any laws of their country by trying the things that have been
        discussed.

        I had to write that because dealing with marijuana in my country is a bigger
        "no-no" than is distilling. Don't get me wrong, distilling is still a big
        problem.

        Your Brother in Magick,
        The Omnipresent Mecakyrios
        ---