RE: [Distillers] REFLUX STILL

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 1:37 PM
      If its not boiling, then you're not getting a great deal of vapour coming
      off. I prefer mine to be doing a nice rolling boil.

      The only times you'd want to run it at a slow simmer would be if
      *your column is grossly undersized and too narrow diameter (poor design),
      *if the wash is tending to foam up or froth badly (eg too much sugar left in
      it),
      *if you're limited in how much reflux you can generate, and too much vapour
      will result in too low a reflux ratio
      *or if your final condensor is not large enough (eg my stove-top pot still
      for essences is like this)

      Tony