REFLUX STILL

  • haydenw1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      CAN SOMEONE TELL ME DOES IT MATTER IF THE WASH BOILS IN A REFLUX
      STILL .COLOUM HEIGHT IS 1 METER AND 2 INCH DIA WITH 8 STAINLESS POT
      SCRUBBERS .
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
        If its not boiling, then you're not getting a great deal of vapour coming
        off. I prefer mine to be doing a nice rolling boil.

        The only times you'd want to run it at a slow simmer would be if
        *your column is grossly undersized and too narrow diameter (poor design),
        *if the wash is tending to foam up or froth badly (eg too much sugar left in
        it),
        *if you're limited in how much reflux you can generate, and too much vapour
        will result in too low a reflux ratio
        *or if your final condensor is not large enough (eg my stove-top pot still
        for essences is like this)

        Tony