Pot still performance

  • Procule le Guizou
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi there!
      My first batch is ready.
      :-)

      I've just collected a "presto" to make a better still and I threw my
      must into it.

      Well, I had some practical problem (I need to work a bit on my still),
      but I got alcohol ! (wow).

      from a 900ml (test) batch at 10%, I got about 100ml at something like
      40% (I don't have an alcohol hydrometer to verify it accurately).

      but i am supposed to get about 225ml of 40% alcohol. Where did the
      rest go ? Should I get more alcohol at a lower % ?

      Also, since it is only a 900ml batch, should I add water to the must
      to get a better control on the temperature ?

      If there is people here with pot stills, can you describe me your
      technique. ;-)

      Thank you,

      Procule