Meat thermometer

  • Procule le Guizou
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      Is a meat thermometer any good to get the temperature of the fume at
      the head of the still ?

      Procule
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        >Is a meat thermometer any good to get the temperature
        >of the fume at the head of the still ?

        It may not be fast or sensitive enough. You really want something where
        you can see the difference of say 78.4C and 78.8C if you're into doing the
        high purity stuff. If however you're more at the lower end, and only
        interested in say whether your vapour is 96C or 84C (eg like when running a
        pot still), then it might be OK. But I'm tempted to say to stick to the
        more accurate thermometers.

        Tony
      • Tarvus
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2001
          --- In Distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > >Is a meat thermometer any good to get the temperature
          > >of the fume at the head of the still ?
          >
          > It may not be fast or sensitive enough. You really want something
          where
          > you can see the difference of say 78.4C and 78.8C if you're into
          doing the
          > high purity stuff. If however you're more at the lower end, and
          only
          > interested in say whether your vapour is 96C or 84C (eg like when
          running a
          > pot still), then it might be OK. But I'm tempted to say to stick
          to the
          > more accurate thermometers.
          >
          > Tony

          Tony, I agree IF this is a new still. I ran a digital thermometer
          accurate to .1 degree F that refreshed every 5 seconds when I first
          built my still.

          After a dozen or so batches, the thermometer died. By that time, I
          knew the characteristics of my still so well that now I just run by
          touch of the column, (to judge when the spirit will begin to flow),
          smell (to judge when the foreshots are done), flowrate (matching the
          flowrate from when the thermometer worked), and volume collected per
          standard wash fermented (typically, I get the same volume per batch
          each time).

          I run a stillmaster type still and in lieu of carbon treatment,
          always run a second run of the distillate. I save the first quart
          and the last two quarts of distillate from each second run and
          recycle with the initial run next go-round. This system leaves me
          with pure 95% neutral spirit without the need for recycling - OR for
          a thermometer or for carbon treatment for that matter.

          I use a propane cooker outdoors which enables fine tuning of heat
          source and I dump the cooling water into the heated pool so that the
          water and heat energy are conserved.

          No waste, clean spirit, and no thermometer. But, you need an
          accurate thermometer initially before you can develop this kind of a
          feel for your gear.

          regards!
          Tar
        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
            >Is a meat thermometer any good to get the temperature
            >of the fume at the head of the still ?

            LOL, I don't know about "good," but they can be used. I mean I use them for
            my rigs and experiments, but then again I'm not going after high purity
            stuff either. Also, I know the way that my sills act. I know the sounds of
            the boiling when things change, and I can smell the difference in the vapor.

            If you are going after high purity neutral spirit, then you should send
            about $25 [US] and get a good digital thermometer to check your still. You
            can find some even cheaper ones, but the cost that you will put out buying
            new ones after the first five break would have bought you a real nice one in
            the first place.

            Some people use both on the same still in different parts of the still.
            There are all different ways to use both of them.

            If you do use a meat thermometer, make sure that you find one with a really
            big face on it. This will allow you to still see the very small fluctuations
            in the temperature that the smaller faced ones prohibit you from seeing.

            So, if you don't mind less than 85% accurate readings and don't mind making
            a few "learning" runs before you get used to it, then yes, a meat
            thermometer with a very large face is good to use. Like I said, I use them,
            but I know what I'm going after. Make sure that if you do buy one, spend the
            extra money to get the large faced one, I can't express this enough.

            I hope this helps.

            Your Brother in Magick,
            The Omnipresent Mecakyrios
            ---