Son of a bitch

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      No worries last night i decided to take a closer look at how my reflux tube was made. Pulled it apart to find a very concerning fact.  The tube had to bits (small) and SS scrubbers (one at either end) the bulk of it filled with tubled glass.  Now im new to this game but im thinking this glas should be reasonably clean not with colours and bits OF GRASS SEEDS and other foreign bodies that im sure added to the lovely flavour of my first batch! I removed about 1/4 of the crap in the coloum.  So my advice to anyone who may have bought their still whole like myself have a peek sometime!
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
        Gees - that's tossing away all those hard-spent R&D dollars. I'm sure that
        our esteemed still designers spent many a restless night working out exactly
        the right seeds to use.

        Tony
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
          >Gees - that's tossing away all those hard-spent R&D dollars. I'm
          >sure that our esteemed still designers spent many a restless night
          >working out exactly the right seeds to use.

          Not to slag them off too much, but these are the same people who have
          quotes in their book like ..

          (re reflux stills) ..alcohol strength increases 5% with every 25% of the
          column packed .. (so how do you get them past about 75% purity ??)

          ...a smaller packing diameter provides more refluxing ... (isn't it the
          cooling tubes/coils etc that generate the reflux??)

          ...we size the tower/condensor lengths a ratio of 2:1 ....(shouldn't these
          depend on what purity you want and how much heat is needed to be removed -
          two seperate items ??)

          ...provided the column is densely packed the resistance allows ethanol to
          pass but not water vapour ...(like an ethanol seive ?? Pack it dense and
          nothing will get past. Increased purity is by providing a greater height
          of packing to allow multiple distillations/equilbriums to form!)

          I'm sorry, but even though they sell many hundreds (if not thousands?) of
          stills, there is a fundamental lack of understanding (by these experts) of
          how distillation works, and how to improve the purity of the spirit. I'm
          saddened to hear that their construction is also substandard. Looks like
          if you want it done right, you need to build it yourself.

          Tony

          (let the flames begin .....but in doing so, I'll be the the first to
          declare that my own website is far from perfect or correct in all it says,
          but I'll listen to any suggestions and do my best to improve and correct
          it)