FW: Feints, doubler, and semi-yearly runs

  • D. C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2001
      << This group's focus seems to me ( admittedly having only scanned a few posts) to be primarily towards straight reflux stills and adding flavouring to the resultant 90 plus ethonal. >>

      Well it seems more that most people on the list get caught up in who can make the best still with what they have available. I mean, a pot still is real simple and there isn't too much that you can improve upon, hence making it not a widely discussed subject.

      Reflex and the others provide a challenge to most. The challenge is to see what can be made with the material that are open to construction. It's kind of like building a race car vs. a skateboard. While it is true that you could try to use different materials for the deck of a skate board, wheels, trucks, and other things, it doesn't compare to the 5,000+ things that could be altered on a race car to gain better performance. Hell, sometimes it's not even the performance, some even like to see how pretty they can make theirs without regard to the best performance.

      So, because of some of the reason described, you won't find too much talk about pot stills on this list. That doesn't mean that there isn't a wealth of information here, however. I only use pot stills as they are easier for me to make and use. I'm sure one of these days when I get some extra materials and some more know how on soldering pipes together I might try to tinker with an easy reflux.

      << I shoud probably dump the spent wash from the boiler but as to the 3 gal from the doubler, should I add it to the new was in the boiler? The 2 liters of feints, should that go in the boiler or the doubler? This next run is supposed to result in the sort of cogeners that make a good whiskey and so If I put the feints etc. in the boiler, the cogeners will probably not get passed the doubler. Any advice would be much appreciated. >>

      Here is what I have done in the past when using a doubler:

      I would fill the boiler to the normal capacity with my wash. I would fill the doubler 1/3 full with wash as well (sometimes I would put in 50/50 wash and neutral spirit in the doubler). I would run my batch. If I still had another run to do that day I would throw our the spent wash in the boiler, fill the boiler with the new wash to be ran, add the liquid that was in the doubler into the boiler with the new wash, fill the doubler with new wash adding to it the tails of the run that I had just finished, and start the run. I keep doing this until I have no more wash to be ran.

      At the end of a day's run, I toss out the boiler and doubler liquids. I keep the tails until my next run. Sometimes, if I have patience enough, I will store the distillates of that days run and add them to a previous run's distillate. In other words, let's say that a month ago I did a run and had collected one unit of distillate from the first run of the day, a second unit from the second run of the day and a third unit from the last run of the day. I will combine all of the units together and mix them up real good. I will then take one unit worth of distillate and set it aside. I will take the remaining distillate and put it into a container and label it with the date. The unit that I had put aside is for me to drink while I wait for a whole month to go by. Then let's say I did a run today and had collected three units of distillate. I will combine these, put one unit worth aside and add the rest to last months run. I will continue to do this until I have a month of down time.

      During the down time I clean out the still real good and take the bottle of several months worth of distillate and draw of one unit worth for me to drink, the rest of the several month collection is bottled, sealed, labeled and stored away and forget about it until a special occasion happens when a good aged product is called for.

      Basically I would start some wash in December. In Jan. I would run the wash like mentioned above and start a new wash. In Feb. I would to the same thing. This would keep up until June. In June I would run my last batch of wash, clean the still really good, and bottle the six month's worth of product. For the rest of the year I will brew wine and beer and distill some small batches for what ever reason. Come December it starts all over again.

      Sorry for getting off topic, but I felt that I needed to share this. I hope in all of my ramblings you were able to find some useful information. I wish you luck with your pot still and hope to hear some of the things that you do with your runs.

      Your Brother in Magick,
      The Omnipresent Mecakyrios
      ---

      ---