Multi-column balancing (was) Re: Mike Nixon - Vapor Management question

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005

      > Multiple columns are tricky, so sneak up on them with caution.
      It's not
      > just the matter of getting the reflux ratio in each column
      correct, but you
      > also have to achieve a balance between them, and maintain it. If
      the vapor
      > feeds are not set up properly then you can get an unstable
      condition that
      > will end up with one or more columns cutting out entirely.
      >
      > All the best,
      > Mike N

      I assume the reason people want multiple columns is to increase the
      amount of product taken in a given timeframe. However large
      diameter pipe is not easily found, so multi-columns is a viable
      alternative.

      The simplest way to achieve perfect balance is to connect all the
      column TOPS together BEFORE the condenser and use a single takeoff
      point for product.

      It's simple fluid dynamics. A system joined at one end (by the
      boiler) will always have pressure differences in the legs (columns),
      just like a garden watering system where the sprays are uneven.
      However, if you make said watering system a closed loop, then all
      sprays have equal pressure. The same is true for multiple columns.

      Join the multiple columns at the boiler, and again at the top, then
      run to a condenser. This setup will of course require more power to
      drive it, because of the additional volume to fill in the extra
      columns, but that's the whole point of the exercise, isn't it?

    • rocky_creek1
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
        OK - Misinterpetation on my part. Now, on your new design for vapor
        management, are you proposing a small outlet and moving the gate valve
        to the reflux condenser? This would allow collecting tails and a good
        reflux ratio. Although it would not allow for heads separation.
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2005
          rocky_creek1 wrote:
          Subject: [Distillers] Re: Mike Nixon - Vapor Management question

          OK - Misinterpetation on my part. Now, on your new design for vapor
          management, are you proposing a small outlet and moving the gate valve
          to the reflux condenser? This would allow collecting tails and a good
          reflux ratio. Although it would not allow for heads separation.
          ====================
          No problems Rocky :-))
          In answer to your question ... in a word ... no.

          All the best,
          Mike N
        • rocky_creek1
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
            That's exactly what I'm doing. currently with 2 columns and soon with 4.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@d...>
              wrote:

              > That's exactly what I'm doing. currently with 2 columns and soon
              with 4.

              How are you managing reflux?

            • rocky_creek1
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
                I for one built it in. Off of the 2" columns, I take off a half inch
                output from each column that comes together into a tee. From there,
                there is one valve to control reflux. In my next one, I will have 4
                columns with a 3/8 output ( 1 1/8 opening into the reflux condenser)
                and may not even have a valve. I'm thinking that my biggest problem so
                far has been inadequate reflux condensing. So in my next one I am
                doubling the id (2") of the condenser (liebig) but the opening is only
                slightly larger .