heads and tails, recycle in next batch or save the batches?

  • pure95percent
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
      I have been making sugar wash vodkas and thus have been making
      smaller middle cuts and bigger heads and tails cuts.

      In reading the posts from last week, the comment is that sugar wash
      heads and tails are nasty and not to recycle them in the next batch,
      otherwise you concentrate these nasty flavors.

      I saw another post that said to save all the batches and when you
      have enough, just to run them all at once and the result will be
      better.

      Question: What is the difference? If I recycle 5 batches each time
      into the next batch, I agree, my heads and tails will be 5 times as
      concetrated.

      If I save 5 batches and run them all at once, would they also contain
      5 times the amount of the nasties?

      Since I am only taking the middle cut, is it going to make much of a
      difference? Or should I recycle 5 times or so and then toss the heads
      and tails?

      Just hate to waste good ethanol.

      Your opinions are most valued. Thanks to all. You guys are the best!

      Roderick
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"
        <pure95percent@y...> wrote:

        > I have been making sugar wash vodkas and thus have been making
        > smaller middle cuts and bigger heads and tails cuts.
        >
        > In reading the posts from last week, the comment is that sugar
        wash
        > heads and tails are nasty and not to recycle them in the next
        batch,
        > otherwise you concentrate these nasty flavors.
        >
        > I saw another post that said to save all the batches and when you
        > have enough, just to run them all at once and the result will be
        > better.
        >
        > Question: What is the difference? If I recycle 5 batches each time
        > into the next batch, I agree, my heads and tails will be 5 times
        as
        > concetrated.
        >
        > If I save 5 batches and run them all at once, would they also
        contain
        > 5 times the amount of the nasties?
        >
        > Since I am only taking the middle cut, is it going to make much of
        > difference? Or should I recycle 5 times or so and then toss the
        heads
        > and tails?
        >
        > Just hate to waste good ethanol.
        >
        > Your opinions are most valued. Thanks to all. You guys are the
        best!

        > Roderick

        The difference is that the feints (heads AND tails) from ONE
        distillation are added to the NEXT distillation. This amount added
        back in a fresh distillation greatly dilutes the nasties, and
        imperfections are not so noticeable in the end product.

        If you save all the feints for several runs, then distill them on
        their own, you have no fresh distillate to dilute them with before
        the run. Imperfections are much more noticeable in this type of
        distillate. Most people would blend this product a little at a time
        into clean spirit if they simply MUST drink it. Otherwise use it
        for other purposes, like cleaning greasy engine parts.

      • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
          IMHO adding heads and tails to the next batch recovers much of the wasted alcohol. I posted a spreadsheet regarding some graphical representation of this process. This method makes all distillation a uniform process.

          Here what I do:
          1. Run a batch adding previous heads-tails. This spirit is saved with adding baking soda/salt.
          2. Run as many batches as needed to collect 8~10 liters of 95% abv
          3. Dilute this collected batch with 10~12 L of water and re-distill it second time.
          4. For friends and relatives I keep a separate reserve of spirit distilled third time afterwards.

          I am too lazy to do it regularly, but carbon filtering and adding a little of sugar and glicerine will put to shame any commercial manufacturer of a fancy name vodka.

          pure95percent <pure95percent@...> wrote:
          Since I am only taking the middle cut, is it going to make much of a difference? Or should I recycle 5 times or so and then toss the heads and tails?

          Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
          There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
          You've been warned, act on your own risk
          And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
          Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)

        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi Alex. I didn't quite understand why you added "baking soda/salt" in step 1. Could you possibly explain further. Nice to hear from you again, Rana

            "Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)" <bokakob@...> wrote:IMHO adding heads and tails to the next batch recovers much of the wasted alcohol. I posted a spreadsheet regarding some graphical representation of this process. This method makes all distillation a uniform process.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Roderick Holmes
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
              Rana,
              I think I can answer for Alex. The baking soda or salt more clearly defines the cuts of the heads and tails from the main collection. I think it does this by better defining the boiling temps of the different compounds we are trying to extract. Just got to make sure you rinse well afterwards to prevent corrosion.

              Roderick

              Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Brandon Lee
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                Alex--am interested in your mini still or head unit
                that i have read about--if u would be so kind to give
                me some information on it it would be greatly
                appreciated--your contributions to this group have
                been wonderful --have built all of your units to date
                and always looking for something new--
                your brother in the spirits
                Blueflame456
                --- "Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)"
                <bokakob@...> wrote:

                > IMHO adding heads and tails to the next batch
                > recovers much of the wasted alcohol. I posted a
                > spreadsheet regarding some graphical representation
                > of this process. This method makes all distillation
                > a uniform process.
                >
                > Here what I do:
                > 1. Run a batch adding previous heads-tails. This
                > spirit is saved with adding baking soda/salt.
                > 2. Run as many batches as needed to collect 8~10
                > liters of 95% abv
                > 3. Dilute this collected batch with 10~12 L of water
                > and re-distill it second time.
                > 4. For friends and relatives I keep a separate
                > reserve of spirit distilled third time afterwards.
                >
                > I am too lazy to do it regularly, but carbon
                > filtering and adding a little of sugar and glicerine
                > will put to shame any commercial manufacturer of a
                > fancy name vodka.
                >

                > pure95percent <pure95percent@...> wrote:
                > Since I am only taking the middle cut, is it going
                > to make much of a difference? Or should I recycle 5
                > times or so and then toss the heads and tails?
                >

                > Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
                > There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
                > You've been warned, act on your own risk
                > And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
                > Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)

                > removed]

                __________________________________
                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                    I haven't been able to open the site for the pics of Alex's Mini-Still. Is anybody else having problems or is it just me?
                    (Get the message: "The page cannot be displayed", etc.)

                    Thanks
                    Glenn

                    Brandon, Mii-Still pictures are here:
                    http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bokakob/lst?.dir=/Purification/Mini-Still&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Thomas Kehrlein
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                      I couldn't get in either.
                      Thomas

                      Glenn wrote:

                      >I haven't been able to open the site for the pics of Alex's Mini-Still. Is anybody else having problems or is it just me?
                      >(Get the message: "The page cannot be displayed", etc.)
                      >
                      >Thanks
                      >Glenn
                      >

                      > Brandon, Mii-Still pictures are here:
                      > http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bokakob/lst?.dir=/Purification/Mini-Still&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Brendan Keith
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                        Yahoo is broken. The root works at
                        http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob
                        but the link shown there fails.

                        --
                        Brendan Keith
                        bkeith@...

                        >I haven't been able to open the site for the pics of Alex's Mini-Still.
                        Is anybody else having problems or is it just me?
                        >(Get the message: "The page cannot be displayed", etc.)
                        >
                        >Thanks
                        >Glenn
                        >

                        > Brandon, Mii-Still pictures are here:

                        http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bokakob/lst?.dir=/Purification/Mini-Stil
                        l&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Service.

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor