Re: oaking

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
      I have done a small amount of sugar wash distillate on charred oak at
      65%.... it does mellow it and it tasts like a very light whiskey... it
      takes at least 2 weeks to taste a difference .... it's starts getting
      good at about 4 weeks...

      Kim

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

        > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
        > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-
        80%
        > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your
        thoughts.
        > Thanks, Dan

        Dan, the commercial distillers cut the spirit to 61.5% before
        putting on oak. Higher strength extracts too much tannin from the
        wood, makes a bitter spirit, like strong black tea.

      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
          I tried oaking both on 95% and also on 50%. I also tried both. Aging on 95% for a few days and then cutting down to 50%. My objective was to make good vodka so afterwards I let is sit on activated charcoal. Oaking at the two different percentages was to me better tasting. My understanding is that different things come out of the oak at different percentages. The high percentages will bring out the tanin and the lower percentages vanilla flavors and sweetness.

          This is what I did the last time and made the best vodka I have ever tasted:

          Started with 25 liters of turbo 24 sugar wash:

          400 ml of 95% sitting on 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for about 3 days until you see a slight tint in the distillate. Shake the jar daily.

          Cut down to 50% and added another 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for another week. The distillate will take on a color of weak tea. Now you have about 800ml. Shake the jar daily.

          Filter out the wood shavings with a coffee filter. The add 3 tablespoons of activated charcoal. Shake the jar daily. When the tint of the wood color is gone and it looks clear again, it is ready to drink. Takes about 2 weeks

          I then cut it down to 40% with some water mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar to smooth it out even more.

          Result: The best vodka I have ever tasted. Did a taste test side by side with Grey Goose from France. Me and my buddies liked my stuff much better.

          Note: I collect my distillate in 400ml batches in a quart mason jar so I have room to dilute and let it sit on oak and charcoal. This particular jar was also right in the very middle of my cut. The stuff I took off at the beginning had the definate taste of heads (nail polish smell) and the stuff at the end had the taste of tails (wet cardboard). I treated the batch that tasted a bit like heads and the batch that tasted a bit like tails on oak and charcoal. Made a bit of improvement but not a lot. I will be making my cuts much more in the middle from now on and redistill the heads and tails later.

          Roderick

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

          > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
          > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
          > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
          > Thanks, Dan

        • Michael
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
            I have used toasted white oak chips sold by several of the brew supply
            companies here in the USA. I purchased mine from "Brewhaus". I have
            tried both 95% and 50% ABV. The 95% seems to become bitter when oaked,
            but the 50% becomes mellow and has a taste of vanilla. I usually use 1
            cup of chips in one US gallon of 50% ABV for 7-10 days. I have tried
            as long as a month, but there is little change after the first 2
            weeks. This makes a medium colored product that is just to my taste.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

            > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
            > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
            > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
            > Thanks, Dan
          • stevolate
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
              > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
              > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
              > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
              > Thanks, Dan

              Hi Dan
              I keep 5 litres 95% in an oak barrel which I dilute and use to mix
              with essence-flavoured products, This makes them taste better.

              Good luck

              Stevo
            • Henry Stamp
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                Michael wrote:

                >I have used toasted white oak chips sold by several of the brew supply
                >companies here in the USA. I purchased mine from "Brewhaus". I have
                >tried both 95% and 50% ABV. The 95% seems to become bitter when oaked,
                >but the 50% becomes mellow and has a taste of vanilla. I usually use 1
                >cup of chips in one US gallon of 50% ABV for 7-10 days. I have tried

                a pal brought some Macallan Cask Strength scotch to a prty the other
                day, it was 57% ...

                --
                --henry
              • Henry Stamp
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Roderick Holmes wrote:

                  >I tried oaking both on 95% and also on 50%. I also tried both. Aging on 95% for a few days and then cutting down to 50%. My objective was to make good vodka so afterwards I let is sit on activated charcoal. Oaking at the two different percentages was to me better tasting. My understanding is that different things come out of the oak at different percentages. The high percentages will bring out the tanin and the lower percentages vanilla flavors and sweetness.
                  >
                  >This is what I did the last time and made the best vodka I have ever tasted:
                  >
                  >Started with 25 liters of turbo 24 sugar wash:
                  >
                  >400 ml of 95% sitting on 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for about 3 days until you see a slight tint in the distillate. Shake the jar daily.
                  >
                  >Cut down to 50% and added another 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for another week. The distillate will take on a color of weak tea. Now you have about 800ml. Shake the jar daily.
                  >
                  >Filter out the wood shavings with a coffee filter. The add 3 tablespoons of activated charcoal. Shake the jar daily. When the tint of the wood color is gone and it looks clear again, it is ready to drink. Takes about 2 weeks

                  interesting, ive never thought about an oaked vodka... does is retain
                  its oak flavour, or are you just using the oak to somehow speed up the
                  "ageing" process?

                  --
                  --henry
                • Roderick Holmes
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Henry,
                    I read on homedistillers website to oak vodka. Somehow, the oak takes away some of the harshness of the distillate. According to others, it is due to some type of chemical reaction that takes place. The activated charcoal removes almost all of the "oak" flavor, but what is left is super smooth vodka. Without the charcoal, the vodka is still pretty smooth but has a slightly raw "woodsy" flavor to it (I am using uncharred, white oak shavings). I like it much better after the charcoal.

                    I drink my vodka straight up or on the rocks. Once the rocks have melted a bit and drops the alcohol down to around 30%, it tastes the best to me. Absolutely no harshness, super smooth, nice finish.

                    I am hooked. I will never buy premium vodka again. Goodbye to my past favorites: Belvedere, Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. Best of all. No hangover ! I have drank well over a pint in one sitting and have a clear head the next morning. Just drink a glass of water before bed time and one when you wake up!

                    Roderick

                    Roderick

                    --
                    --henry

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                      'Starka' (from 'stara' = old) is oak aged vodka and is still produced
                      in Poland. Some caramel (burnt sugar) gives it even more brandy-like
                      softness.
                      wal
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes

                      Service.

                    • Derek Hamlet
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                        I have certainly aged sugar wash on oak. I take a handful of oak, handful
                        of charred oak, 12 vanilla bean, two dried apricots and 6 peppercorns.
                        This is added to approx. 1 gallon of distilled spirit at 70% dilution. I
                        shake it every day and taste occasionally. When the color and taste seem
                        about right I might add some glycerine and or carmelized sugar. I fillter
                        through a coffee filter and store in gallon jugs fillitng up a 1 litre
                        bourbon bottle for drinking. It seems to get compliments.
                        At 08:42 AM 3/2/05, you wrote:

                        >does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                        >sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                        >ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                        >Thanks, Dan

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Derek Hamlet
                        Victoria, B.C.
                      • KJH
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 3, 2005
                          Dan,got a litre soaking now bin about 2/3 wks still pretty fiery but taste
                          of oak is hvy, gonna leave it longer......................Ken.
                          > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                          > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                          > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                          > Thanks, Dan

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • KJH
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 3, 2005
                            What does it taste like ? a scotch or boubon etc ?
                            > I have certainly aged sugar wash on oak. I take a handful of oak, handful
                            > of charred oak, 12 vanilla bean, two dried apricots and 6 peppercorns.
                            > This is added to approx. 1 gallon of distilled spirit at 70% dilution. I
                            > shake it every day and taste occasionally. When the color and taste seem
                            > about right I might add some glycerine and or carmelized sugar. I fillter
                            > through a coffee filter and store in gallon jugs fillitng up a 1 litre
                            > bourbon bottle for drinking. It seems to get compliments.
                            > At 08:42 AM 3/2/05, you wrote:
                            >

                            >>does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                            >>sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                            >>ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                            >>Thanks, Dan

                            >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                            >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >>

                            > Derek Hamlet
                            > Victoria, B.C.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Robert N
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 24, 2005
                              From: David W Lunsford [mailto:maxtonnage@...]

                              I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided to try
                              it,
                              and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those who have
                              not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%, soaked
                              on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking more for
                              a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage

                              Amazing isn't it. The amount of effort verses the rewards gained. Once you
                              are set up to do something, know what to do and where to source what is
                              needed, the actual effort required to produce a great product is bugger all.

                              Yours in spirit

                              Robert

                            • sea_strider
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 24, 2005
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                                wrote:
                                > I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided
                                to try it,
                                > and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those
                                who have
                                > not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%,
                                soaked
                                > on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking
                                more for
                                > a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage

                                Yeah, it's really one of those "great result for little effort" type
                                of things! Then you can really go nuts, blending oak chips with
                                various amounts of charring (from lightly to heavily charred) and
                                even blending those with virgin, uncharred oak chips for variation.

                                Charred chips can also be slathered around (sort of sauteed!) in
                                caramelized, brown sugar syrup you create like a reduction sauce (add
                                a bit more water, cook down, lots of stirring) ... the caramelized
                                chips would obviously be used were you want that oakiness to blend
                                with a sweetness (maybe for when you might usually use a bit of
                                glycerin). All kinds of fun can be had with oak!

                                Even using oak essence -- a few drops at a time -- improves things
                                for those in a hurry, and this "hurry up" method continues to improve
                                taste over longer periods of time. Oak is just plain GOOD STUFF.
                              • David W Lunsford
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sea_strider" <sea_strider@y...> wrote:

                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided
                                    > to try it,
                                    > > and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those
                                    > who have
                                    > > not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%,
                                    > soaked
                                    > > on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking
                                    > more for
                                    > > a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage
                                    >
                                    > Yeah, it's really one of those "great result for little effort" type
                                    > of things! Then you can really go nuts, blending oak chips with
                                    > various amounts of charring (from lightly to heavily charred) and
                                    > even blending those with virgin, uncharred oak chips for variation.
                                    >
                                    > Charred chips can also be slathered around (sort of sauteed!) in
                                    > caramelized, brown sugar syrup you create like a reduction sauce (add
                                    > a bit more water, cook down, lots of stirring) ... the caramelized
                                    > chips would obviously be used were you want that oakiness to blend
                                    > with a sweetness (maybe for when you might usually use a bit of
                                    > glycerin). All kinds of fun can be had with oak!
                                    >
                                    > Even using oak essence -- a few drops at a time -- improves things
                                    > for those in a hurry, and this "hurry up" method continues to improve
                                    > taste over longer periods of time. Oak is just plain GOOD STUFF.

                                    I've tried 4 different amounts of oak chips (1x,2x,3x & 6x) to find
                                    the strength I like. I purposely did not include the grams/liter
                                    because there are too many variables depending on what kind and chip
                                    size of oak your using. Just experiment.

                                    Todd K.
                                  • deanlil@pnc.com.au
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                      Hi Guys,

                                      I have purchased some Oak chips supposedly made from Jack Daniels oak barrels.
                                      My question is do I need to toast these or is the original toasting and flavours
                                      still available.

                                      Dean.
                                    • Roderick Holmes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                        ok maxtonnage,
                                        Toasted some oak wrapped in foil in the oven tonight. Did a run of grocery store moonshine coming off at 95%. Smoked out my house after only 15 minutes with the oak right above the burner on the bottom of the oven at 350F. Had to pull it out because the wife was complaining about smokey smell in the house. The shavings cooked to the color of dark milk choclate. Put 2 tablespoons in the distillate after I cut it to 50%.

                                        Let's see just how good it can get!

                                        How long should I let it sit on the toasted oak?

                                        Roderick

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                          I bought a JD half barrel that is sold as a planter.....it was just
                                          cut and still had the saw dust in it.....

                                          I take a barrel stave and cut it in 5 inch lengths.... cut those 5
                                          inch pieces into lengthwise strips so that if you look at the end of a
                                          piece, it is square....

                                          I lay them on a metal grate...a BBQ grill works well....then I burn
                                          each side and the ends with a propane torch....they usually won't
                                          actually catch fire as they are very dense wood..

                                          don't make charcoal but burn them in about a 1/6 of an inch....

                                          I cut my whiskey to about 65% and put 6 oak sticks in a 2 quart mason
                                          jar (about 1.75 l)and fill it up...

                                          I have sampled it over time and in the beginning it tastes like
                                          shit....after 4 weeks it is getting very good....I take it off the oak
                                          at 8 weeks and cut it to 45%....filter it with a coffee filter in a
                                          small funnel......

                                          I take a bottle over to friends house on a saturday night and always
                                          come home with an empty bottle......

                                          this is smoother and better tasting than anything you can but in a
                                          liquor store...

                                          the only trouble I have is waiting 8 weeks

                                          try it you'll like it

                                          Kim

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, deanlil@p... wrote:
                                            > Hi Guys,
                                            >
                                            > I have purchased some Oak chips supposedly made from Jack Daniels
                                            oak barrels.
                                            > My question is do I need to toast these or is the original
                                            toasting and flavours
                                            > still available.
                                            >
                                            > Dean.

                                            Hi Dean,
                                            This is a matter that's very much open to discussion and
                                            experimentation. What you need to consider is the source of the oak
                                            and it's condition when it's chipped.

                                            Oak barrels for JD are fired to form a caramelized ring (the
                                            redline) at a depth of about 1/8th to 1/4 inch in, then re-fired
                                            harder to charcoal the surface. Then they are used once to extract
                                            most or all the caramelization.

                                            After that, they are sold empty to other spirit makers around the
                                            world, who refurbish them by scraping,re-caramelizing, re-
                                            charcoaling.

                                            There comes a point where the barrel is too thin for further
                                            reworking, because they aren't physically strong enough to hold the
                                            liquor. Then they are broken up for barbecue smoker chips or sold
                                            to entrepreneurs who make soaker chips for the hobby industry.

                                            This wood is almost exhausted of true oak lactones, yet there is
                                            enough to perhaps get one more caramelizing out of them if you fire
                                            them. Unfired, you will get the flavour of whatever was matured in
                                            them, plus a little colour and a tiny bit of oak flavour.

                                            If you are EXTREMELY fortunate enough to get your hands on a first-
                                            fill JD barrel intact, or one cut in half for a planter and not pest-
                                            treated, or a rejected defect barrel, then you've struck gold. This
                                            wood is the same thing used by Scotsmen, Frenchmen, Italians &
                                            others to produce their wonderous creations. It can be cleaned,
                                            fired to caramelize, split up, and do service for a very long time
                                            for the hobbyist.

                                          • kiss my ass
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                              Just some advice....

                                              get several batches going on the charred oak....because you will keep
                                              "sampling it"..... until it's gone.....

                                              real charred oak is magic....

                                              the hardest part of aging is the wait....

                                              Kim

                                              > Hey Roderick, I cheated and cut the chips in a saw, about 3 to 4 inches
                                              > long, and small enough to get into a bottle, and then charred them black
                                              > with a propane torch. I have a one gallon glass soda syrup jar into which
                                              > added a goodly handful of the chips. I let the first batch sit about 4 to
                                              > 5
                                              > days before sampling, and it was already wonderful, have another sitting
                                              > for little over a week now....maxtonnage
                                              >

                                              > At 10:57 PM 3/25/05 -0800, you wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >>ok maxtonnage,
                                              >>Toasted some oak wrapped in foil in the oven tonight. Did a run of grocery
                                              > store moonshine coming off at 95%. Smoked out my house after only 15
                                              > minutes with the oak right above the burner on the bottom of the oven at
                                              > 350F. Had to pull it out because the wife was complaining about smokey
                                              > smell in the house. The shavings cooked to the color of dark milk
                                              > choclate.
                                              > Put 2 tablespoons in the distillate after I cut it to 50%.
                                              >>
                                              >>Let's see just how good it can get!
                                              >>
                                              >>How long should I let it sit on the toasted oak?
                                              >>
                                              >>Roderick
                                              >>
                                              >>toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >>-(snip)

                                              >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                                              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • David W Lunsford
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                                Hey Roderick, I cheated and cut the chips in a saw, about 3 to 4 inches
                                                long, and small enough to get into a bottle, and then charred them black
                                                with a propane torch. I have a one gallon glass soda syrup jar into which I