Re: oaking

  • thephantom207
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi Dan, My somewhat limited experience has been excellent. I
      personally cut up red oak (I don't have access to white oak but have
      red oak everywhere) in chunks from 1 inch to two inches square. For
      1 gallon of approx. 50%abv I add one or two pieces of red oak that
      has been charred by a blow torch (this give a nice smoky flavor) and
      4 or 5 pieces that have been toasted at 400 degrees for at least an
      hour. I don't even taste it until it has aged about a month. To me
      it is drinkable then but it keeps getting better and better. I also
      add about a teaspoon of either sugar syrup or a teaspoon of glycerin
      per quart after diluting to 40 to 45% abv with distilled water. The
      bit of sweetness seems to take the bite out of it and makes it nice
      and mellow. Just my personal experience. The fun is in the trying,
      experimenting and tasting. I have some soaking now with hickory but
      haven't tryied it yet.

      Phantom

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

      > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
      > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-
      80%
      > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your
      thoughts.
      > Thanks, Dan
    • Kim
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
        I have done a small amount of sugar wash distillate on charred oak at
        65%.... it does mellow it and it tasts like a very light whiskey... it
        takes at least 2 weeks to taste a difference .... it's starts getting
        good at about 4 weeks...

        Kim

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

          > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
          > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-
          80%
          > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your
          thoughts.
          > Thanks, Dan

          Dan, the commercial distillers cut the spirit to 61.5% before
          putting on oak. Higher strength extracts too much tannin from the
          wood, makes a bitter spirit, like strong black tea.

        • Roderick Holmes
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
            I tried oaking both on 95% and also on 50%. I also tried both. Aging on 95% for a few days and then cutting down to 50%. My objective was to make good vodka so afterwards I let is sit on activated charcoal. Oaking at the two different percentages was to me better tasting. My understanding is that different things come out of the oak at different percentages. The high percentages will bring out the tanin and the lower percentages vanilla flavors and sweetness.

            This is what I did the last time and made the best vodka I have ever tasted:

            Started with 25 liters of turbo 24 sugar wash:

            400 ml of 95% sitting on 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for about 3 days until you see a slight tint in the distillate. Shake the jar daily.

            Cut down to 50% and added another 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for another week. The distillate will take on a color of weak tea. Now you have about 800ml. Shake the jar daily.

            Filter out the wood shavings with a coffee filter. The add 3 tablespoons of activated charcoal. Shake the jar daily. When the tint of the wood color is gone and it looks clear again, it is ready to drink. Takes about 2 weeks

            I then cut it down to 40% with some water mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar to smooth it out even more.

            Result: The best vodka I have ever tasted. Did a taste test side by side with Grey Goose from France. Me and my buddies liked my stuff much better.

            Note: I collect my distillate in 400ml batches in a quart mason jar so I have room to dilute and let it sit on oak and charcoal. This particular jar was also right in the very middle of my cut. The stuff I took off at the beginning had the definate taste of heads (nail polish smell) and the stuff at the end had the taste of tails (wet cardboard). I treated the batch that tasted a bit like heads and the batch that tasted a bit like tails on oak and charcoal. Made a bit of improvement but not a lot. I will be making my cuts much more in the middle from now on and redistill the heads and tails later.

            Roderick

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

            > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
            > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
            > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
            > Thanks, Dan

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
              I have used toasted white oak chips sold by several of the brew supply
              companies here in the USA. I purchased mine from "Brewhaus". I have
              tried both 95% and 50% ABV. The 95% seems to become bitter when oaked,
              but the 50% becomes mellow and has a taste of vanilla. I usually use 1
              cup of chips in one US gallon of 50% ABV for 7-10 days. I have tried
              as long as a month, but there is little change after the first 2
              weeks. This makes a medium colored product that is just to my taste.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

              > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
              > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
              > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
              > Thanks, Dan
            • stevolate
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                > Thanks, Dan

                Hi Dan
                I keep 5 litres 95% in an oak barrel which I dilute and use to mix
                with essence-flavoured products, This makes them taste better.

                Good luck

                Stevo
              • Henry Stamp
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Michael wrote:

                  >I have used toasted white oak chips sold by several of the brew supply
                  >companies here in the USA. I purchased mine from "Brewhaus". I have
                  >tried both 95% and 50% ABV. The 95% seems to become bitter when oaked,
                  >but the 50% becomes mellow and has a taste of vanilla. I usually use 1
                  >cup of chips in one US gallon of 50% ABV for 7-10 days. I have tried

                  a pal brought some Macallan Cask Strength scotch to a prty the other
                  day, it was 57% ...

                  --
                  --henry
                • Henry Stamp
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Roderick Holmes wrote:

                    >I tried oaking both on 95% and also on 50%. I also tried both. Aging on 95% for a few days and then cutting down to 50%. My objective was to make good vodka so afterwards I let is sit on activated charcoal. Oaking at the two different percentages was to me better tasting. My understanding is that different things come out of the oak at different percentages. The high percentages will bring out the tanin and the lower percentages vanilla flavors and sweetness.
                    >
                    >This is what I did the last time and made the best vodka I have ever tasted:
                    >
                    >Started with 25 liters of turbo 24 sugar wash:
                    >
                    >400 ml of 95% sitting on 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for about 3 days until you see a slight tint in the distillate. Shake the jar daily.
                    >
                    >Cut down to 50% and added another 2 tablespoons of white oak shavings for another week. The distillate will take on a color of weak tea. Now you have about 800ml. Shake the jar daily.
                    >
                    >Filter out the wood shavings with a coffee filter. The add 3 tablespoons of activated charcoal. Shake the jar daily. When the tint of the wood color is gone and it looks clear again, it is ready to drink. Takes about 2 weeks

                    interesting, ive never thought about an oaked vodka... does is retain
                    its oak flavour, or are you just using the oak to somehow speed up the
                    "ageing" process?

                    --
                    --henry
                  • Roderick Holmes
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Henry,
                      I read on homedistillers website to oak vodka. Somehow, the oak takes away some of the harshness of the distillate. According to others, it is due to some type of chemical reaction that takes place. The activated charcoal removes almost all of the "oak" flavor, but what is left is super smooth vodka. Without the charcoal, the vodka is still pretty smooth but has a slightly raw "woodsy" flavor to it (I am using uncharred, white oak shavings). I like it much better after the charcoal.

                      I drink my vodka straight up or on the rocks. Once the rocks have melted a bit and drops the alcohol down to around 30%, it tastes the best to me. Absolutely no harshness, super smooth, nice finish.

                      I am hooked. I will never buy premium vodka again. Goodbye to my past favorites: Belvedere, Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. Best of all. No hangover ! I have drank well over a pint in one sitting and have a clear head the next morning. Just drink a glass of water before bed time and one when you wake up!

                      Roderick

                      Roderick

                      --
                      --henry

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                        'Starka' (from 'stara' = old) is oak aged vodka and is still produced
                        in Poland. Some caramel (burnt sugar) gives it even more brandy-like
                        softness.
                        wal
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes

                        Service.

                      • Derek Hamlet
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2, 2005
                          I have certainly aged sugar wash on oak. I take a handful of oak, handful
                          of charred oak, 12 vanilla bean, two dried apricots and 6 peppercorns.
                          This is added to approx. 1 gallon of distilled spirit at 70% dilution. I
                          shake it every day and taste occasionally. When the color and taste seem
                          about right I might add some glycerine and or carmelized sugar. I fillter
                          through a coffee filter and store in gallon jugs fillitng up a 1 litre
                          bourbon bottle for drinking. It seems to get compliments.
                          At 08:42 AM 3/2/05, you wrote:

                          >does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                          >sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                          >ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                          >Thanks, Dan

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Derek Hamlet
                          Victoria, B.C.
                        • KJH
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 3, 2005
                            Dan,got a litre soaking now bin about 2/3 wks still pretty fiery but taste
                            of oak is hvy, gonna leave it longer......................Ken.
                            > does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                            > sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                            > ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                            > Thanks, Dan

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • KJH
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 3, 2005
                              What does it taste like ? a scotch or boubon etc ?
                              > I have certainly aged sugar wash on oak. I take a handful of oak, handful
                              > of charred oak, 12 vanilla bean, two dried apricots and 6 peppercorns.
                              > This is added to approx. 1 gallon of distilled spirit at 70% dilution. I
                              > shake it every day and taste occasionally. When the color and taste seem
                              > about right I might add some glycerine and or carmelized sugar. I fillter
                              > through a coffee filter and store in gallon jugs fillitng up a 1 litre
                              > bourbon bottle for drinking. It seems to get compliments.
                              > At 08:42 AM 3/2/05, you wrote:
                              >

                              >>does anyone let their pure spirit age on oak? Just curious of how a
                              >>sugar mash would turn out if aged on oak. I was thinking around 70-80%
                              >>ethanol then put on oak toasted at 400 degrees. Tell me your thoughts.
                              >>Thanks, Dan

                              >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                              >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >>

                              > Derek Hamlet
                              > Victoria, B.C.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Robert N
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 24, 2005
                                From: David W Lunsford [mailto:maxtonnage@...]

                                I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided to try
                                it,
                                and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those who have
                                not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%, soaked
                                on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking more for
                                a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage

                                Amazing isn't it. The amount of effort verses the rewards gained. Once you
                                are set up to do something, know what to do and where to source what is
                                needed, the actual effort required to produce a great product is bugger all.

                                Yours in spirit

                                Robert

                              • sea_strider
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 24, 2005
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided
                                  to try it,
                                  > and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those
                                  who have
                                  > not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%,
                                  soaked
                                  > on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking
                                  more for
                                  > a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage

                                  Yeah, it's really one of those "great result for little effort" type
                                  of things! Then you can really go nuts, blending oak chips with
                                  various amounts of charring (from lightly to heavily charred) and
                                  even blending those with virgin, uncharred oak chips for variation.

                                  Charred chips can also be slathered around (sort of sauteed!) in
                                  caramelized, brown sugar syrup you create like a reduction sauce (add
                                  a bit more water, cook down, lots of stirring) ... the caramelized
                                  chips would obviously be used were you want that oakiness to blend
                                  with a sweetness (maybe for when you might usually use a bit of
                                  glycerin). All kinds of fun can be had with oak!

                                  Even using oak essence -- a few drops at a time -- improves things
                                  for those in a hurry, and this "hurry up" method continues to improve
                                  taste over longer periods of time. Oak is just plain GOOD STUFF.
                                • David W Lunsford
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sea_strider" <sea_strider@y...> wrote:

                                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > I have read a lot about using charred oak chips, and decided
                                      > to try it,
                                      > > and DAMN!!!! I wish I had tried this a while back.... for those
                                      > who have
                                      > > not tried it, I say, TRY IT.... My usual vodka, cut to approx 50%,
                                      > soaked
                                      > > on charred oak chips for just one week, is heavenly... am soaking
                                      > more for
                                      > > a while longer, should be worth the wait.....maxtonnage
                                      >
                                      > Yeah, it's really one of those "great result for little effort" type
                                      > of things! Then you can really go nuts, blending oak chips with
                                      > various amounts of charring (from lightly to heavily charred) and
                                      > even blending those with virgin, uncharred oak chips for variation.
                                      >
                                      > Charred chips can also be slathered around (sort of sauteed!) in
                                      > caramelized, brown sugar syrup you create like a reduction sauce (add
                                      > a bit more water, cook down, lots of stirring) ... the caramelized
                                      > chips would obviously be used were you want that oakiness to blend
                                      > with a sweetness (maybe for when you might usually use a bit of
                                      > glycerin). All kinds of fun can be had with oak!
                                      >
                                      > Even using oak essence -- a few drops at a time -- improves things
                                      > for those in a hurry, and this "hurry up" method continues to improve
                                      > taste over longer periods of time. Oak is just plain GOOD STUFF.

                                      I've tried 4 different amounts of oak chips (1x,2x,3x & 6x) to find
                                      the strength I like. I purposely did not include the grams/liter
                                      because there are too many variables depending on what kind and chip
                                      size of oak your using. Just experiment.

                                      Todd K.
                                    • deanlil@pnc.com.au
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                        Hi Guys,

                                        I have purchased some Oak chips supposedly made from Jack Daniels oak barrels.
                                        My question is do I need to toast these or is the original toasting and flavours
                                        still available.

                                        Dean.
                                      • Roderick Holmes
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 25, 2005
                                          ok maxtonnage,
                                          Toasted some oak wrapped in foil in the oven tonight. Did a run of grocery store moonshine coming off at 95%. Smoked out my house after only 15 minutes with the oak right above the burner on the bottom of the oven at 350F. Had to pull it out because the wife was complaining about smokey smell in the house. The shavings cooked to the color of dark milk choclate. Put 2 tablespoons in the distillate after I cut it to 50%.

                                          Let's see just how good it can get!

                                          How long should I let it sit on the toasted oak?

                                          Roderick

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                            I bought a JD half barrel that is sold as a planter.....it was just
                                            cut and still had the saw dust in it.....

                                            I take a barrel stave and cut it in 5 inch lengths.... cut those 5
                                            inch pieces into lengthwise strips so that if you look at the end of a
                                            piece, it is square....

                                            I lay them on a metal grate...a BBQ grill works well....then I burn
                                            each side and the ends with a propane torch....they usually won't
                                            actually catch fire as they are very dense wood..

                                            don't make charcoal but burn them in about a 1/6 of an inch....

                                            I cut my whiskey to about 65% and put 6 oak sticks in a 2 quart mason
                                            jar (about 1.75 l)and fill it up...

                                            I have sampled it over time and in the beginning it tastes like
                                            shit....after 4 weeks it is getting very good....I take it off the oak
                                            at 8 weeks and cut it to 45%....filter it with a coffee filter in a
                                            small funnel......

                                            I take a bottle over to friends house on a saturday night and always
                                            come home with an empty bottle......

                                            this is smoother and better tasting than anything you can but in a
                                            liquor store...

                                            the only trouble I have is waiting 8 weeks

                                            try it you'll like it

                                            Kim

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, deanlil@p... wrote:
                                              > Hi Guys,
                                              >
                                              > I have purchased some Oak chips supposedly made from Jack Daniels
                                              oak barrels.
                                              > My question is do I need to toast these or is the original
                                              toasting and flavours
                                              > still available.
                                              >
                                              > Dean.

                                              Hi Dean,
                                              This is a matter that's very much open to discussion and
                                              experimentation. What you need to consider is the source of the oak
                                              and it's condition when it's chipped.

                                              Oak barrels for JD are fired to form a caramelized ring (the
                                              redline) at a depth of about 1/8th to 1/4 inch in, then re-fired
                                              harder to charcoal the surface. Then they are used once to extract
                                              most or all the caramelization.

                                              After that, they are sold empty to other spirit makers around the
                                              world, who refurbish them by scraping,re-caramelizing, re-
                                              charcoaling.

                                              There comes a point where the barrel is too thin for further
                                              reworking, because they aren't physically strong enough to hold the
                                              liquor. Then they are broken up for barbecue smoker chips or sold
                                              to entrepreneurs who make soaker chips for the hobby industry.

                                              This wood is almost exhausted of true oak lactones, yet there is
                                              enough to perhaps get one more caramelizing out of them if you fire
                                              them. Unfired, you will get the flavour of whatever was matured in
                                              them, plus a little colour and a tiny bit of oak flavour.

                                              If you are EXTREMELY fortunate enough to get your hands on a first-
                                              fill JD barrel intact, or one cut in half for a planter and not pest-
                                              treated, or a rejected defect barrel, then you've struck gold. This
                                              wood is the same thing used by Scotsmen, Frenchmen, Italians &
                                              others to produce their wonderous creations. It can be cleaned,
                                              fired to caramelize, split up, and do service for a very long time
                                              for the hobbyist.

                                            • kiss my ass
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                                Just some advice....

                                                get several batches going on the charred oak....because you will keep
                                                "sampling it"..... until it's gone.....

                                                real charred oak is magic....

                                                the hardest part of aging is the wait....

                                                Kim

                                                > Hey Roderick, I cheated and cut the chips in a saw, about 3 to 4 inches
                                                > long, and small enough to get into a bottle, and then charred them black
                                                > with a propane torch. I have a one gallon glass soda syrup jar into which
                                                > added a goodly handful of the chips. I let the first batch sit about 4 to
                                                > 5
                                                > days before sampling, and it was already wonderful, have another sitting
                                                > for little over a week now....maxtonnage
                                                >

                                                > At 10:57 PM 3/25/05 -0800, you wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >>ok maxtonnage,
                                                >>Toasted some oak wrapped in foil in the oven tonight. Did a run of grocery
                                                > store moonshine coming off at 95%. Smoked out my house after only 15
                                                > minutes with the oak right above the burner on the bottom of the oven at
                                                > 350F. Had to pull it out because the wife was complaining about smokey
                                                > smell in the house. The shavings cooked to the color of dark milk
                                                > choclate.
                                                > Put 2 tablespoons in the distillate after I cut it to 50%.
                                                >>
                                                >>Let's see just how good it can get!
                                                >>
                                                >>How long should I let it sit on the toasted oak?
                                                >>
                                                >>Roderick
                                                >>
                                                >>toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >>-(snip)

                                                >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                                                >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • David W Lunsford
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 26, 2005
                                                  Hey Roderick, I cheated and cut the chips in a saw, about 3 to 4 inches
                                                  long, and small enough to get into a bottle, and then charred them black
                                                  with a propane torch. I have a one gallon glass soda syrup jar into which I