Re: Good Ol' Methanol

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dropped_pie" <dropped_pie@y...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone who makes his or her own spirits knows that the public
      > perception is:
      >
      > Homemade Alcohol = Methanol = Death
      >
      > I've lost count of how many times I've explained that this just
      isn't
      > true and I'm sure I'm not alone.
      <snip for brevity>

      You've found the same info I've researched. :-)
      Good to see someone else doing serious investigations.
      (you didn't really drop yer pie, didya?
      was it a four'n'twenty?) :-))

    • yttrium_nitrate
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
        > Fact 1 - Methanol is not poisonous.
        >
        > This is true, but does need to be qualified. Methanol is not
        > poisonous, but alcohol dehydrogenase (the enzyme responsible for
        > breaking it down) turns it into formaldehyde, which is broken down to
        > formic acid, and these two certainly are toxic. The important point
        > to remember is that the toxic compounds are only produced when the
        > methanol is metabolised and under normal circumstances this does not
        > occur.

        Although I agree with your post about distillers being paranoid about
        methanol, by this logic you could say that being shot isn't lethal,
        its just the massive loss of blood that follows that is. Or you could
        say that the Ebola virus isn't technically lethal, it is just the
        massive internal bleeding that is. Either way, you're not going to
        convince many people that Gunshot wounds, Methanol, and Ebola are safe.
      • David W Lunsford
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hey, DP, thanks for that info, surely will be helpful as you say, and
          also good to know....maxtonnage

          At 09:05 AM 3/1/05 -0000, you wrote:

          >Anyone who makes his or her own spirits knows that the public
          >perception is:
          >
          >(BIG SNIP)

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Saul Sabia
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
            > Message: 7
            > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:30:33 -0000
            > From: "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@...>
            > Subject: Re: Good Ol' Methanol
            >

            > > Fact 1 - Methanol is not poisonous.
            > >
            > > This is true, but does need to be qualified. Methanol is not
            > > poisonous, but alcohol dehydrogenase (the enzyme responsible for
            > > breaking it down) turns it into formaldehyde, which is broken down to
            > > formic acid, and these two certainly are toxic. The important point
            > > to remember is that the toxic compounds are only produced when the
            > > methanol is metabolised and under normal circumstances this does not
            > > occur.
            >
            > Although I agree with your post about distillers being paranoid about
            > methanol, by this logic you could say that being shot isn't lethal,
            > its just the massive loss of blood that follows that is. Or you could
            > say that the Ebola virus isn't technically lethal, it is just the
            > massive internal bleeding that is. Either way, you're not going to
            > convince many people that Gunshot wounds, Methanol, and Ebola are safe.

            *shakes head* the reason being that most people are dumb.

            hold on a sec, i just got a news flash! i can't believe my eyes!
            did you know that mother's milk contains a deadly narcotic?
            that's right, MORPHINE has been found in both human and cow milk! yup, the
            _same_drug_ that has hooked and led millions to their deaths in seedy
            motels and dingy backstreet alleyways is actually IN the milk that we feed
            our children!

            http://tinyurl.com/6pxkw
            http://tinyurl.com/5ajvz

            ... oh, wait. the amounts found are actually only 200-500 nanograms per liter.
            that would mean that you would literally have to drink something like 1,000 liters
            to even get close to minimum-required dosages (that's about 275 gallons for us US folk).

            but _never mind_! we all must promptly panic because there is an evil,
            nasty drug in the beverage that we thought healthy for our children! quick!
            to the lawyer's office! sue the dairy conglomeration! but before we do anything
            rational.... PANIC!

            *runs around screaming in loose-bladdered hysteria*

            Saul

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • jcmca
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
              hell, DP, and you thought you were sharing something good with us.
              amazing how many different 'takes' folks have on a subject. thanx a
              bunch for trying, anyway. i, for one, found your info interesting.

              best!
              John

              wrote:

              > Anyone who makes his or her own spirits knows that the public
              > perception is:
              >
              > Homemade Alcohol = Methanol = Death
              >
              > I've lost count of how many times I've explained that this just
              isn't
              > true and I'm sure I'm not alone. The result, I think, is that the
              > home-distilling community has become paranoid about methanol.
              Whether
> [...]
              > methylated spirits is 95% ethanol and although methanol was once
              used
              > to denature it, it's too easy to remove and has been replaced by
              > other chemicals that pose more of a challenge. Most methylated
              > spirits contains no methanol. The truth is pure methanol actually
              > tastes and smells sweet - so sweet that it's used in the
              > artificial sweetener aspartame (Nutrasweet).
              >

              > Fact 4 – The diet coke might get you before the bourbon.
              >
              > The aspartame in diet drinks is metabolised to produce, among other
              > things, methanol which is released soon after ingestion. Aspartame
              is
              > 10% methanol by weight and although it is consumed in small
              > quantities, unlike natural sources of methanol, it is not
              accompanied
              > by protective ethanol. Unless you add ethanol to a diet drink all
              the
              > methanol will be converted to formaldehyde and formic acid. There
              is
              > considerable debate about the safety of aspartame for this reason.
              >

              > Fact 5 – Adulteration (and not technique) is the enemy.
              >
              > Make no mistake, people have died from drinking bootleg alcohol
              > containing methanol. The question is how did it get there? If you
              > distil and don't separate the heads the ethanol would still be
              > sufficient protect you from the methanol toxicity. Even the heads
              > themselves contain enough ethanol that the methanol probably
              > wouldn't be metabolised, but that isn't the point – you
              > can't drink heads because they taste poisonous, irrespective of
              > whether they are or not. The situation is self-limiting: heads
              taste
              > so bad that a sane person couldn't drink enough of them for the
              > methanol to do them any real harm.
              >
              > The truth is that poor fermentation/distillation technique won't
              > kill you (just make you feel like you're going to die). To create
              > a toxic level of methanol you have to physically add it – it's
              > just not possible to make a palatable spirit by fermentation and
              > distillation that contains enough methanol to kill. Every instance
              of
              > fatality resulting from bootleg alcohol I have been able to find
              has
              > been due to nice clean methanol being sold as ethanol and not from
              > sloppy distilling practices. The problem is that the media regards
              > all homemade spirits as the same when clearly they are not.
              >

              > The message is don't worry about methanol – it's a natural
              substance
              > and your body is quite capable of dealing with it in the quantities
              > it naturally occurs. Wine makers don't worry about the methanol
              > that occurs in their wine and good wine always contains it. Your
              > spirits will have a perfectly safe level of methanol as long as you
              > don't add methanol to it. Sleep secure in the knowledge that it
              > will be the ethanol and not the methanol that kills you.

            • yttrium_nitrate
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
                If you think that's bad, watch out for DHMO...

                http://www.dhmo.org

                > but _never mind_! we all must promptly panic because there is an evil,
                > nasty drug in the beverage that we thought healthy for our children!
                quick!
                > to the lawyer's office! sue the dairy conglomeration! but before we
                do anything
                > rational.... PANIC!
                >
                > *runs around screaming in loose-bladdered hysteria*
                >

                > Saul
                tive/
              • jcmca
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
                  we are going to have to quit our hobby as it is in our mashes in
                  LETHAL doses! even more so in my homebrews!! the end of the world is
                  nigh!!

                  best!
                  John

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > If you think that's bad, watch out for DHMO...
                  >
                  > http://www.dhmo.org
                  >

                  > > but _never mind_! we all must promptly panic because there is an
                  evil,
                  > > nasty drug in the beverage that we thought healthy for our
                  children!
                  > quick!
                  > > to the lawyer's office! sue the dairy conglomeration! but before
                  we
                  > do anything
                  > > rational.... PANIC!
                  > >
                  > > *runs around screaming in loose-bladdered hysteria*
                  > >

                  > > Saul
                  > tive/
                • David W Lunsford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
                    I cant believe there is a website on DMHO...water....(learned that on
                    distillers)...maxtonnage