Grappa Rookie

  • polenta222
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
      My immigrant grandfather made grappa in a copper still, but the
      still and recipe have long since disappeared from our family. When
      in Italy this past summer I saw lots of small copper grapa stills
      for sale, but figured I could find one in the states so didn't
      purchase one. Can anyone out there advise me how to get started in
      traditional old-style Northern Italian grappa distilling? I already
      make good wine. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 4:01 AM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polenta222" <polenta222@y...>
        wrote:

        > My immigrant grandfather made grappa in a copper still, but the
        > still and recipe have long since disappeared from our family. When
        > in Italy this past summer I saw lots of small copper grapa stills
        > for sale, but figured I could find one in the states so didn't
        > purchase one. Can anyone out there advise me how to get started in
        > traditional old-style Northern Italian grappa distilling? I
        already
        > make good wine. Thanks!

        See my answer in new_distillers.

      • kandeent
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1 12:22 PM
          wrote:

          > My immigrant grandfather made grappa in a copper still, but the
          > still and recipe have long since disappeared from our family. When
          > in Italy this past summer I saw lots of small copper grapa stills
          > for sale, but figured I could find one in the states so didn't
          > purchase one. Can anyone out there advise me how to get started in
          > traditional old-style Northern Italian grappa distilling? I
          already
          > make good wine. Thanks!

          Youre talking this type?
          http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers_pricelist.htm
        • Dan Zadra
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1 12:42 PM
            Wow, Kandeent, thank you so much---that looks exactly like what I was hoping to find! As a rookie, I guess my only remaining questions is: Will the pot-style distillers pictured at Hogacompany handle the grape mash that is required to make grappa. Do you know? I will also contact Hogacompany. Thanks again!!!!

            wrote:

            > My immigrant grandfather made grappa in a copper still, but the
            > still and recipe have long since disappeared from our family. When
            > in Italy this past summer I saw lots of small copper grapa stills
            > for sale, but figured I could find one in the states so didn't
            > purchase one. Can anyone out there advise me how to get started in
            > traditional old-style Northern Italian grappa distilling? I
            already
            > make good wine. Thanks!

            Youre talking this type?
            http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers_pricelist.htm

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Ed Long
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2 10:40 AM
              Here is some more info, I find it interesting too!EdThe Grappa used Charentais pot still distilling fermented grape skins and seeds. (Pomace) It�s almost like making Brandy or Cognac. It doesn�t look easy to make it�s more of an art. The good stuff is a small cut from the center. Its also called Marc, Aguardiente and Testersnapps.
              http://www.cipriani.com/cipriani/Food/grappae.htm (Shows process, good info!)

              http://www.cyberpathway.com/wine/grappa.html (Reviews)

              http://www.cosevecchie.com/liquoria.htm 3 (For sale here) Expensive!

              Dan Zadra <polenta222@...> wrote:Wow, Kandeent, thank you so much---that looks exactly like what I was hoping to find! As a rookie, I guess my only remaining questions is: Will the pot-style distillers pictured at Hogacompany handle the grape mash that is required to make grappa. Do you know? I will also contact Hogacompany. Thanks again!!!!

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2 11:41 AM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ed Long <kandeent@y...> wrote:
                > Here is some more info, I find it interesting too!

                > http://www.cipriani.com/cipriani/Food/grappae.htm (Shows process,
                good info!)

                Definitely interesting history. I guess we can forgive the typo. I
                assume it should read 'kilograms', not grams. :-)

                <extract>
                On average, a hundred grams of grape pomace without stalks yields
                from four to eight liters of grappa with an alcohol level of 70%.
                </extract>

              • Mike Nixon
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2 12:26 PM
                  Harry wrote:
                  Subject: [Distillers] Re: Grappa Rookie

                  Definitely interesting history. I guess we can forgive the typo. I
                  assume it should read 'kilograms', not grams. :-)

                  <extract>
                  On average, a hundred grams of grape pomace without stalks yields
                  from four to eight liters of grappa with an alcohol level of 70%.
                  </extract>
                  You must be thinking of Australian grapes Harry. The grapes in that part of
                  the world are very juicy.

                  Tralala :-))
                  Mike N