Stainless Steel Odor Problem

  • kandeent
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      I distilled some water the other to test out my reflux. I took a sip
      and instead of pure clean water it was this foul nasty metallic
      tasting mess. I tried to get the smell out of the column and
      condenser using vinegar to no avail. Next I filled up the pipes with
      muratic acid/ water mix and it still left a faint odor. Finally
      after using full strength acid and sanding I got the pipes
      absolutely odorless again. I noticed the Chore Boy stainless steel
      is magnetic. Probably type 403 stainless. All I can say is stainless
      steel scrubbers are never getting near my pipes again. I rushed out
      and bought copper mesh to replace it and have had no odor problems
      since.
      Has anybody had similar problems?
      Ed