molasses only fermentation

  • Peter Angus
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2005
      Hello all,

      There has been a lot of discussion re:molasses of late so forgive me if my
      experiences are nothing new.

      I make a 41L (10.8 US Gallon) batch size as this size gives me plenty of
      head space for foaming in my 60L (15.8 US Gal) pot still. The molasses I
      purchase here in Victoria, Australia isn't labled "blackstrap", but would
      appear to have similar characteristics as the descriptions of blackstrap I
      read about.

      I use molasses only, no nutrients, no pH adjustment. I intended to measure
      the pH of the last wash but forgot. Firstly I mix 8L molasses (2.1 Gal) with
      2L (0.5 Gal) water and pastuerise in a SS pot on the stove (maybe not
      necessary but gives me peace of mind). The added water helps avoid burning
      to the bottom of the pot. Cool, and pour into fermenter. Then top up to 36L
      (9.5 Gal) giving an SG of around 1.102. This ferments down to 1.045 using
      Lalvin white wine yeast (M1). Fermentation temp is kept at around 20C (68F).
      Once the SG has dropped to 1.045, I pastuerise a further 4L molasses and 1L
      water and add to fermenter to make a total of 41L. By my calculations, this
      results in a wash of around 10% ABV in around 10 days.

      Cheers all.
      Peter