Zeolites & drying alcohol ...

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2001
      I've poached this from the "Biofuels" newsgroup at YahooGroups ...
      Tony
      Message: 6
      Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:02:59 -0700
      From: Ken Provost <provo@...>
      Subject: Back to the Zeolite thang....

      Following up on the old zeolite thread, I finally have something
      to report, namely, how BEAUTIFULLY zeolite (aka "molecular sieve")
      works to suck the last bit of water out of distilled ethanol. I got a sample
      of Type 3A Molecular Sieve from a place in So. Calif. called Adcoa:

      http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/adcoa/molecula.htm

      I got a can of the 4-8 mesh -- little balls of rock about 1/8"
      dia. -- they absorb about 20% of their weight of water over the course
      of a few hours. Take a liter of 95% ethanol, throw in 250g of stuff,
      swirl occasionally, filter out the next day thru a strainer, and presto!
      Anhydrous ethanol. Not expensive either -- $2.05 a pound US in
      10 lb quantities, and reusable indefinitely. You drive off the water
      under a broiler for an hour.

      Now all you need is the 95% ethanol! :-) ..... -K