Re: [Distillers] Sugar Crystallization - What now?

  • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
      On 20/2/05 10:13 AM, "nitzotz" <fineberg.1@...> wrote:

      > when making liqueurs, but every day once I added the sugar syrup, I
      > have more sugar precipitating and crystallizing on the surfaces of
      > the jar. I have read posts about this happenening before, but what
      > can I do to re-dissolve the crystallized sugar in the 55% ABV
      > solution?

      Hola Elliot!
      The alc. concentration is not the cause, it¹s that sucrose tends to do that
      when a solution containing it is left unstirred. You have to convert
      sucrose to another thing. Inverting it does the trick every time. The
      thing is that you must add some acid to the solution (citric is widely
      available, cheap and tastes good) and depending on your recipe it would add
      or subtract to the flavor you¹re pointing to. The other detail is that in
      order to achieve inversion heat must be used. I do it this way: boil the
      water, turn of heat and immediately add sugar, acid and thickening agent (I
      use xanthan gum but it¹s a bit hard to come by in small quantities, at least
      here), thoroughly mix (a hand blender is tops if your batch is not to large)
      and cool. Sugar to water and acid proportions are mostly a matter of taste
      but your solution¹s pH must be a bit in the low side because if not
      inversion doesn¹t occur. I think there¹s some useful info in this regard in
      Tony¹s site. Check it out.
      Salud!
      --
      Hector Landaeta