Re: Diode v transformer

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ken hawkyard-gibson <oobruckner@...>
      To: Mike <mike@...>
      Date: Sunday, February 06, 2000 4:09 AM
      Subject: Diode v transformer

      >Hi Mike, thanks for the info much appreciated. The
      >immersion heater flange is 21/4 BSP this appears to be
      >of standard size for hot water tanks in the UK. I
      >could have an immersion heater made to my spec. but
      >the cost will be �65 + vat (17%) opposed to �9 inc for
      >3Kw from a do-it yourself store. The diode sounds
      >interesting could you explain in a bit more detail ie
      >type of diode, poss sketch of how to wire it up. What
      >would happen if I connect a step down transformer ie
      >240v to 120v, what out put would this give?
      >many thanks Ken

      Hi there Ken,

      A step-down transformer would do the job - 240v to 120v would result in your
      3000w element giving out only a qharter of its rated power - 750 watt.
      However, the snag is sourcing a transformer that is both rated to handle the
      currents I noted and that doesn't cost the earth. That's a hard call. A
      diode has the advantage of simplicity and cheapness. You could try an
      FB5006 600V/50A rectifier diode, but as supplies vary considerably around
      the world the best bet - as I suggested - is to get yourself a Maplin's
      catalogue or visit your friendly local electrical shop. Diagram of how to
      wire it all up is in the new book that John Stone and I have written and
      which is coming out in a week or so - I hate advertising (which is why I
      haven't put in the url), but dammit - we need to earn a buck! Anyway, I
      described that in my last email!

      All the best,
      Mike
      In Godzone