Complete Fermentation FG .980

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
      Does most others get an FG of .980?? I know I rarely do, mine usually
      quits around FG 1.000 - 1.010. Do I have a problem or is this common.
      I'Ve only had about 3 batch's go down to .990 -.980. Also I over
      sugared my present sugar wash just to see how far my yeast would go
      and it has been stoped for a few days now already starting to clear
      but FG is 1.020 SG was 1.157 is this going to hurt my final product
      with the un- fermented sugar ??? Thanks alot you guy's and gal's have
      been a great help to me I don't know what I'd do with out ya. : )

      Suitcase
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
        I start my sugar-turbo wash at 1.09-1.1...the FG is never higher than
        .990...:>)

        Levi

        (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

        >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@...>
        >Subject: [Distillers] Complete Fermentation FG .980
        >Does most others get an FG of .980?? Suitcase

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
          I use 7kg sugar in total of 25 ltrs and it always goes to 0.986 at the
          end. I use Still Spirits Turbo Yeast.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>

        • suitcase1499@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
            In a message dated 2/22/2005 10:00:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            linw@... writes:

            I use 7kg sugar in total of 25 ltrs and it always goes to 0.986 at the
            end. I use Still Spirits Turbo Yeast.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            Last time I used I used turbo pure 48, I've had better luck with Alcotec 48.

            Suitcase

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
              <suitcase1499@a...> wrote:

              > Does most others get an FG of .980?? I know I rarely do, mine
              usually
              > quits around FG 1.000 - 1.010. Do I have a problem or is this
              common.
              > I'Ve only had about 3 batch's go down to .990 -.980. Also I over
              > sugared my present sugar wash just to see how far my yeast would
              go
              > and it has been stoped for a few days now already starting to
              clear
              > but FG is 1.020 SG was 1.157 is this going to hurt my final
              product
              > with the un- fermented sugar ??? Thanks alot you guy's and gal's
              have
              > been a great help to me I don't know what I'd do with out ya. : )
              >
              > Suitcase

              It's best to get a complete (dry) frementation i.e. below 1.000.
              If you have residual sugar in your wash, and internal elements, then
              there's a possibility of sugar being burned onto the elements.
              Burnt sugar = rum taste, so everything comes out like rum, no matter
              what you were trying for. If it burns bad enough, it will smell &
              taste nasty, and no amount of carbon polishing will fix it.

              Too high a sugar content in wort causes osmotic pressure on the
              yeast and kills most of it off. It's the no.1 cause of stuck
              ferments. Ask yourself this: why do commercial distillers do their
              worts at no more than ~8% potential abv? They have access to yeasts
              that do much higher. They are aware of the costs of doing low abv
              distillations. Yet they persist in low abv worts. Why? Because
              the risk of a stuck ferment when you're doing 300,000 litres at a
              time and the potential loss of the wort is unthinkable.

              I don't understand this mindset of pushing the envelope with high
              yield. Too risky, and even if it's successful it takes an age to
              ferment out to dryness. You could do 2 or 3 lower percentage worts
              and distillations in the same amount of time, and get a surer result
              and more alcohol. Most newbies go for high abv. After a while and
              a few costly mistakes, they usually arrive at the same conclusions
              all the commercial boys & amateur 'experts' do. Lower is better.