Whats the right distilling temperature

  • sydison_exxe
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
      I just finished making a pot still out of a pressure cooker and its
      been abit tricky trying to find its exact temperature, i think my
      thermomity may be broken, but anyways, is there any danger if i heat
      the wine inside the still to over 95C or even over 100 or 110? Is
      there any possibity that using incorrect temperatures will result in
      more poisons (such as methanol or isopropanol) to be
      produced/created, or are those poisons only created during the
      fermentation process?

      Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out,
      Daniel
    • owen stuart
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
        You can only heat the liquid to boiling point no mater what sized element u use.. water boils at 100 c wayer caointaining alcohol boils at lower temperature depening on the alcohol content.. The only difference in element size is how fast the liqued will heat to boiling point and at what speed it will evaporate. The slower the evaporation the highr the quality of spirit

        sydison_exxe <thedaniel@...> wrote:

        I just finished making a pot still out of a pressure cooker and its
        been abit tricky trying to find its exact temperature, i think my
        thermomity may be broken, but anyways, is there any danger if i heat
        the wine inside the still to over 95C or even over 100 or 110? Is
        there any possibity that using incorrect temperatures will result in
        more poisons (such as methanol or isopropanol) to be
        produced/created, or are those poisons only created during the
        fermentation process?

        Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out,
        Daniel

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • Henry Stamp
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
          there is a calculator for the boiling point of your wash here:

          http://www.homedistiller.org/calc.htm

          as far as safety, i dont think thats too much of a problem as the
          methonal only gets produced during fermentation (distillation doesnt
          produce anything, it just separates out the different parts in the
          wash). plus, you should be throwing out the first bit (foreshots) that
          contains any methonol ... i see people say the fist 100-200 ml for a 20
          litre wash (in a pot still).

          --
          --henry
        • riven1.geo
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21, 2005
            172 deg farienh. at sea level
            Adam Nash (the typo king)

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sydison_exxe" <thedaniel@g...>
            wrote:

            > I just finished making a pot still out of a pressure cooker and its
            > been abit tricky trying to find its exact temperature, i think my
            > thermomity may be broken, but anyways, is there any danger if i
            heat
            > the wine inside the still to over 95C or even over 100 or 110? Is
            > there any possibity that using incorrect temperatures will result
            in
            > more poisons (such as methanol or isopropanol) to be
            > produced/created, or are those poisons only created during the
            > fermentation process?
            >
            > Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out,
            > Daniel
          • hermit720022002
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2005
              Hi All,
              This is true, if in your cooler can not buld up even the faintest
              over pressure. If in the cooling spiral there is an accliviting
              section or it is too long, fluid plugs are arising. This will cause
              a minor overpressure, what may cause easily 5-8 centigrade
              temperature rise in your pot. Before throwing out your thermometer
              check your cooler.

              Joe

              Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "riven1.geo" <riven1.geo@y...> wrote:

              > 172 deg farienh. at sea level
              > Adam Nash (the typo king)
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sydison_exxe" <thedaniel@g...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > I just finished making a pot still out of a pressure cooker and
              its
              > > been abit tricky trying to find its exact temperature, i think
              my
              > > thermomity may be broken, but anyways, is there any danger if i
              > heat
              > > the wine inside the still to over 95C or even over 100 or 110?
              Is
              > > there any possibity that using incorrect temperatures will
              result
              > in
              > > more poisons (such as methanol or isopropanol) to be
              > > produced/created, or are those poisons only created during the
              > > fermentation process?
              > >
              > > Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out,
              > > Daniel
            • bruan_omniva
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22, 2005
                Owen, you are incorrect when you state that water boils at 100C. The
                whole point of a pressure cooker is to increase the boiling
                temperature of the fluid used. The pressure inside the still must be
                greater then atmospheric for the pot still to work correctly. The more
                resistance in the tubing the greater the internal pressure in the
                still needed and therefore higher temperature.
                From personal experience my pot still operates at temperature higher
                then 100C due to poor design and crimping of the copper tubing.
                It is easy to have poorly made pressure cooker pot still operate at
                high temperatures (100+)

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2005
                  Ok, thanks for everyone who replyed, i was just abit worried at
                  first that my pressure cooker was at too high of a temp and could
                  produce methanol but im guessing that not really possible (although
                  i think if u do cook at a high enough temp it may turn ethanol into
                  methanol like in this story
                  http://www.interserve.org.nz/home/articles/BlindnessandBakingSoda.htm
                  but it must have been really hot, or ofcouse it could just be a guy
                  lieing trying to cover up for something else) but my temperature was
                  ok anyways, and i will be ditching the head and tail during the
                  second distillation. (although i would like to know the "dangerous
                  temperature" if there is one, just incase).

                  thanks, Daniel

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bruan_omniva" <omniva@h...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 22, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > Ok, thanks for everyone who replyed, i was just abit worried at
                    > first that my pressure cooker was at too high of a temp and could
                    > produce methanol but im guessing that not really possible
                    (although
                    > i think if u do cook at a high enough temp it may turn ethanol
                    into
                    > methanol like in this story

                    http://www.interserve.org.nz/home/articles/BlindnessandBakingSoda.htm
                    > but it must have been really hot, or ofcouse it could just be a
                    guy
                    > lieing trying to cover up for something else) but my temperature
                    was
                    > ok anyways, and i will be ditching the head and tail during the
                    > second distillation. (although i would like to know the "dangerous
                    > temperature" if there is one, just incase).
                    >
                    > thanks, Daniel

                    Daniel, 3 things...
                    1. Don't believe everything you read on the net. At least not
                    without looking for corroborating evidence.
                    2. You can't make methanol OR ethanol. Yeast does that. You just
                    extract the substances from a potpourri of chemicals.
                    3. If you REALLY want to start learning truths of distillation in
                    an easily read style, go here...
                    http://homedistiller.org

                    HTH

                    ps. newbie's group is here...
                  • Mike Nixon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Whats the right distilling temperature

                      wrote:

                      > Ok, thanks for everyone who replyed, i was just abit worried at
                      > first that my pressure cooker was at too high of a temp and could
                      > produce methanol but im guessing that not really possible
                      (although
                      > i think if u do cook at a high enough temp it may turn ethanol
                      into
                      > methanol like in this story

                      http://www.interserve.org.nz/home/articles/BlindnessandBakingSoda.htm
                      > but it must have been really hot, or ofcouse it could just be a
                      guy
                      > lieing trying to cover up for something else) but my temperature
                      was
                      > ok anyways, and i will be ditching the head and tail during the
                      > second distillation. (although i would like to know the "dangerous
                      > temperature" if there is one, just incase).
                      >
                      > thanks, Daniel

                      Daniel, 3 things...
                      1. Don't believe everything you read on the net. At least not
                      without looking for corroborating evidence.
                      2. You can't make methanol OR ethanol. Yeast does that. You just
                      extract the substances from a potpourri of chemicals.
                      3. If you REALLY want to start learning truths of distillation in
                      an easily read style, go here...
                      http://homedistiller.org

                      HTH
                      ===============
                      If I may add to that Harry ... a guy who also doesn't know that baking soda
                      IS "bicarbonate" shouldn't be administering medically to people ...
                      particularly if he thinks "intravenously" means getting the poor patient to
                      drink the stuff! Even a leech doctor knows that you don't eat the luscious
                      little beasties!

                      All the best,
                      Mike N
                    • donald holcombe
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                        you cant turn ethanol into metanol !!! you can however go hi enough to get some proanol!! 170f to205f is the max temp for ethanol any thing outside this can make you sick

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                          bruan_omniva <omniva@...> wrote:
                          Well I was talking about a well made pot still not a badly made one.

                          Owen, you are incorrect when you state that water boils at 100C. The

                          It is easy to have poorly made pressure cooker pot still operate at
                          high temperatures (100+)

                          owen stuart <getafix96@y...> wrote:
                          > You can only heat the liquid to boiling point no mater what sized
                          element u use.. water boils at 100 c wayer caointaining alcohol boils
                          at lower temperature depening on the alcohol content..

                        • Levi Langershank
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                            Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me...JMPO...:>)
                            Levi

                            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)