Maple Syrup

  • Procule le Guizou
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2001
      Since my enter in your world, when I see something, I'm wondering all
      the time if I can use it in my mix.

      Can we use maple syrup to make alcohol ? ;-)
      It seems like a potentially very good source of sugar, and it would
      taste good in a spirit.

      Procule
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2003
        It's Spring in the northern hemisphere and maples can be tapped for
        their sweet sap. How? See:
        http://www.massmaple.org/how.html

        Wal
      • Maxime Belair
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
          Hi again,

          I red a couple of interesting mead recipes. Some say
          that you can replace the honey by maple syrup.

          My intention is to ferment maple syrup at about 5% and
          then distill twice in my pot still to get like a
          brandy. I really don't know how it will taste like.
          The only way to find out is to try it.

          So I was asking me if I should add nutrients to maple
          syrup?
          I'd like it to ferment to 5% in not more than 7 days.
          Or should I add a couple of table spoons of molasses
          as the only nutrients I have avaible to me is Fermaid
          which does not contains enough DAP...

          Thanks for any advices,

          Maxime Belair

          Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • confederaterebel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
            i don't know the if maple syrup would convert ta alchohol. when i was younger
            we would tap the sugar bush (sugar maple tree). it takes right at 32 gallons
            of sap ta make one gallon of syrup. we would use 30 gallon plastic garbage
            cans and pull it with a sled. we would use old pallets and any type of wood we
            could git our hands on. nowadays most have a dedicated sap line usin plastic
            hose to run ta the sugar house. still know some that use buckets but only along
            side of roads. if i could only have the wood from all that i could build 50 or
            more homes and have some ta spare for a few winters. reckon the point of this
            is takin me back ta my childhood and thinkin how much harder it was fer them
            moonshiners. by the way.....if ya can buy pure maple syrup in stores, git ya
            some, then boil it down some more ta make candy. looks bout like drown sugar but
            so much better. if the old timers could have used maple syrup as a cheap
            source i think they would have but the price is not feasable.

          • Maxime Belair
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
              Of course it will convert to alcohol, but I think
              there's not enough nutrients in it if it is like honey
              so I'll add some molasses to it. I can get maple
              syrup 550ml for 5.50$ canadian. 1.1 liter makes a bit
              over 3 pounds. I'll distill twice and I think it will
              be very good. we'll see...

              ---------------------------------
              by the way.....if ya can buy pure maple syrup in
              stores, git ya
              some, then boil it down some more ta make candy.
              ====

              Yes, I know, I'm doing this all the time. It makes
              good toffy.

              Cheers!

              Maxime Belair

              Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
              magasinage.yahoo.ca
            • Josh Wilson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
                Bein in college I dont have a whole lotta money for ingredients.. so I wondered about ferminting a half a bottle of maple syrup I had.. I didnt do it.. I instead opted to use the jar of honey I had.. which made some WONDERFULL mead.. the recipe I used was

                4 cups honey

                1 cup white sugar

                3 quarts water

                1-1 1/2 tables spoons bakers yeast..

                I boiled the honey in 2 quarts of water.. I then boiled the sugar in 1 quart of water and mixed it into a stainless steel pot with my honey/water mixture.. I stirred it right good witha wooden spoon till it cooled down a bit.. I put in my yeast and mixed it again.. after I let it set for about 15 minutes to make sure it was all mixed up good I funneled it into a one gallon plastic jug.. you should have the jug filled about 3/4 of the way up.. which is good cos you cant have the jug fulled up to the top.. I opened the top and let the air out every other day or so.. its done in somewhere between 3 to 5 days.. I let it set a spell in the freezer.. about 2 days I think.. it froze the water and yeast down to the bottom.. I poured the liquid thru a coffee filter into another jug changing the filter every so often.. I think I may have used 5 filters for the 3/4 gallon.. then let it set a spell to settle and it tasts right good.. I do 18th century re-enacting and I took it to an even
                t where ppl had made it b4 and had tasted some of the best stuff there was and they said it was one of the best tastin recipes they had come up with.. Im thinking about using the same recipe as this, but substituting maple syrup for the honey.. if anyone tries this lemme know how it comes out..

                Wilson
                > Of course it will convert to alcohol, but I think
                > there's not enough nutrients in it if it is like honey
                > so I'll add some molasses to it. I can get maple
                > syrup 550ml for 5.50$ canadian. 1.1 liter makes a bit
                > over 3 pounds. I'll distill twice and I think it will
                > be very good. we'll see...
                >
                > ---------------------------------
                > by the way.....if ya can buy pure maple syrup in
                > stores, git ya
                > some, then boil it down some more ta make candy.
                > ====
                >
                > Yes, I know, I'm doing this all the time. It makes
                > good toffy.
                >
                > Cheers!
                >
                > Maxime Belair

                > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
                > magasinage.yahoo.ca

              • Bill Healey
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
                  To make a liquor with maple syrup, just add it half and half with 40% alcohol, it saves a lot of bother and you dont destroy the subtle flavours of the syrup.
                  Cheers Bill...
                  Of course it will convert to alcohol, but I think
                  there's not enough nutrients in it if it is like honey
                  so I'll add some molasses to it. I can get maple
                  syrup 550ml for 5.50$ canadian. 1.1 liter makes a bit
                  over 3 pounds. I'll distill twice and I think it will
                  be very good. we'll see...

                  ---------------------------------
                  by the way.....if ya can buy pure maple syrup in
                  stores, git ya
                  some, then boil it down some more ta make candy.
                  ====

                  Yes, I know, I'm doing this all the time. It makes
                  good toffy.

                  Cheers!

                  Maxime Belair

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Angus MacDonald
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
                    Going for a low abv like %5 there shouldn' t be any need for a lot of
                    nutrient for the yeast. If you get the Ph down a little and overpitch
                    the yeast a lot it should ferment out in 36 hours if you dont get it
                    too hot or too cold.
                    The commercial distillery Vermont Spirits (
                    http://www.vermontspirits.com ) is producing a maple syrup vodka.
                    My guess is that if you double distill it you will lose all but the
                    faintest ghost of the maple flavor unless you take your cuts very
                    wide, and even then it's likely to be subtle.
                    Even a very small amount of molasses is liable to interfere with
                    getting a maple nose out of the stillhead if the maple should turn out
                    not to carry through very strong.