Question about figuring amps

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
      I only have so many amps to work with and I want to add a cooling fan
      to my element controller. The fan is only 30 watts so at 120 volts my
      calculations say that's just 0.0833 amps, Is this correct ??? TIA

      Suitcase
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498"
        <suitcase1499@a...> wrote:

        > I only have so many amps to work with and I want to add a cooling
        fan
        > to my element controller. The fan is only 30 watts so at 120 volts
        my
        > calculations say that's just 0.0833 amps, Is this correct ??? TIA
        >
        > Suitcase

        Nope. 0.25 amps.

        W = V x I or W = I^2 x R or W = V^2 / R

        Therefore:
        30 = 120 x I
        30 = 120 x 0.25

      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
          suit

          I am converting to electrically driven pot. So if you or anyone
          runs across a power controller, I would be interested.

          cary r

        • suitcase1499@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
            In a message dated 2/13/2005 4:47:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            rhodeseng@... writes:

            suit

            I am converting to electrically driven pot. So if you or anyone
            runs across a power controller, I would be interested.

            cary r

            Against most people's advice I'm using a Lutron 1500 watt light dimmer got it
            at a local electric supply house $60.00. I found the same one's on the net
            but they were $80.00

            Suitcase