cleaning the still column

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      I've gotten lazy, and have stopped pulling the scrubbers (S.S.) and
      cleaning them between runs.

      Normally, I soak 'em in vinegar, rinse well, then boil in water,
      then cook them at 350F (177C) for 30 minutes in an outside oven that
      I constructed for this purpose. The last couple of runs I didn't do
      this. I think the taste is off a bit, and the yield is marginally
      lower.

      I recall a post where somebody said that the hot alcohol of the next
      batch will clean the scrubbers just fine - no need to backflush /
      remove / clean. Now I don't know.

      Any comments?
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        I just removed the copper mesh from my finishing column...after about 6
        months/8-10 runs it was in suprisingly good shape....immediately after every
        run I rinse the boiler and add about a gallon of clean water...I then fire
        it back up and run until I collect about a quart....I then remove the cap
        from the top of the column and run it for another 10-15 minutes....after it
        cools I remove the column and let it drain/dry....this works for
        me...BTW...whats the purpose of 'baking' the scrubs?....:>)
        Levi

        (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

        >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>

        >Subject: [Distillers] cleaning the still column
        >I've gotten lazy, and have stopped pulling the scrubbers (S.S.) and
        >cleaning them between runs.

        cook them at 350F (177C) for 30 minutes in an outside oven that
        >I constructed for this purpose. Any comments?

      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:

          > I've gotten lazy, and have stopped pulling the scrubbers (S.S.) and
          > cleaning them between runs.
          >
          > Normally, I soak 'em in vinegar, rinse well, then boil in water,
          > then cook them at 350F (177C) for 30 minutes in an outside oven
          that
          > I constructed for this purpose. The last couple of runs I didn't
          do
          > this. I think the taste is off a bit, and the yield is marginally
          > lower.
          >
          > I recall a post where somebody said that the hot alcohol of the
          next
          > batch will clean the scrubbers just fine - no need to backflush /
          > remove / clean. Now I don't know.
          >
          > Any comments?

          I've run my 1.2m, 2" dia. S.S. packed still 4 times now. Here's what
          I do.

          After the run, I remove the column from the flange and pour a few
          gallons of boiling water, a pan at a time, down from the top of the
          column collecting it in a 5 gal bucket. Wear good rubber gloves for
          this or you will scald yourself.
          I know I'm done when I suck on the end of the column and I don't
          taste the nasty tails that it gets after a run. I also taste the flush
          water. When it tastes clean, the column is clean. I then let it drip
          dry for a few days before capping the ends. I have never
          removed my scrubbers. Sometimes I just shut down after a nights run
          and then flush the column in the morning.

          Todd K.
        • rodmacd2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            I've run over 30 batches in the 2 1/2 years since I acquired my
            beautiful John Stone glass still - N/S design (naturally) with S/S
            potscrubbers as packing.

            In this time I've never replaced the potscrubbers - or even ever
            removed them from the column for cleaning. They are still as bright
            and clean to-day as when I first installed them 30 months ago. No
            nasty smell from the column either.

            What I *do* do is very thoroughly backflush the column with hot tap
            water after each use. i.e. let it run for up to ten minutes. I leave
            the column mounted on my boiler (an under-the-counter water heater)
            while this is done so the flushing serves a dual purpose as it also
            thoroughly rinses the boiler.

            Works well for me.

            Rod

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:

            > I've gotten lazy, and have stopped pulling the scrubbers (S.S.) and
            > cleaning them between runs.
            >
            > Normally, I soak 'em in vinegar, rinse well, then boil in water,
            > then cook them at 350F (177C) for 30 minutes in an outside oven
            that
            > I constructed for this purpose. The last couple of runs I didn't
            do
            > this. I think the taste is off a bit, and the yield is marginally
            > lower.
            >
            > I recall a post where somebody said that the hot alcohol of the
            next
            > batch will clean the scrubbers just fine - no need to backflush /
            > remove / clean. Now I don't know.
            >
            > Any comments?
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
              Early on (6 years ago?), I was frustrated that a vinegar soak and
              boiling in water and rinse water and .... never got the nasty smell
              out of the scrubbers. Out of frustration I put the scrubbers in a
              pot in the kitchen oven at 350F or so (I was thinking about
              the "self cleaning oven" feature). When I pulled them out an hour
              or so later, the scrubbers smelled good. But the house smelled bad.

              My guess is that the high heat boils off the "stuff" that's stuck in
              the scrubbers.

              BTW...whats the purpose of 'baking' the scrubs?....:>)
              > Levi
            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
                I ,personally,would be more concerned with what was causing the "nasty
                smell" you refer to...my packing has never had this problem....:>)