Another Element Controller Question

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 8:44 PM
      Ok I've got a portable electric heater bought it at walmart for
      $20.00 US it has a thermostat controller on it, it is 2000 watts, why
      wouldn't the controller out of it work ??? TIA

      Suitcase
    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 9:20 PM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
        wrote:

        > Ok I've got a portable electric heater bought it at walmart for
        > $20.00 US it has a thermostat controller on it, it is 2000 watts,
        why
        > wouldn't the controller out of it work ??? TIA
        >
        > Suitcase
        ==========================
        It will cause surging. You need a steady, even heat source.

        Pop
      • suitcase1499@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 11:15 PM
          In a message dated 2/2/2005 12:25:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          popwahtosh@... writes:

          It will cause surging. You need a steady, even heat source.

          Pop

          Thanks Pop I didn't know, so I need something that will cut it down not on
          and off???

          Suitcase

        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2 2:39 PM
            They both control the temp by switching on and off but it is a matter
            of how frequently they do it. A crude thermostat controller might turn
            on and off at 5 min intervals, say, whereas a sutronics type
            controller does it so rapidly that the effect, with the thermal
            inertia of a lot of liquid, is of a stable lower voltage. Thus
            constant temp and no surging.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.