RE: [Distillers] Controller for Heating Element

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
      Depends on what you consider a fortune...I use a STACO ....got mine at a
      discount but I think they are less than $200.....I have used mine for 5-6
      years with no problems......thats about $2.78 a month...not a bad investment
      as $150 couldnt buy mine today..:>)

      Levi

      (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

      >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@...>
      >Subject: [Distillers] Controller for Heating Element
      >What is a good type of controller for a 1500 watt 110 volt heating
      >element that doesn't cost a fortune and where can you get them ???
      >Thanks in advance for any info.
      >
      >Suitcase

    • bradr36
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
        suitcase, take a look at this i don't think you will find anything
        cheaper.

        http://tinyurl.com/54g9j

        this is what levi is using and i use them too.
        go to your local flea markets and you might get lucky and find one if
        you know what to look for.
        i bought mine on ebay for 30 bucks but just recently found 4 of them
        at a flea market at 10 dollars each. i now have a life time supply in
        stock
        i also use them on my drill with a paint stirrer to dissolve sugar
        and aerate and any thing else that you would like to operate at a
        reduced vlotage.

        BR

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
        wrote:
        > Depends on what you consider a fortune...I use a STACO ....got mine
        at a
        > discount but I think they are less than $200.....I have used mine
        for 5-6
        > years with no problems......thats about $2.78 a month...not a bad
        investment
        > as $150 couldnt buy mine today..:>)
        >
        > Levi
        >
        > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
        >
        > >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
        > >Subject: [Distillers] Controller for Heating Element
        > >What is a good type of controller for a 1500 watt 110 volt heating
        > >element that doesn't cost a fortune and where can you get them ???
        > >Thanks in advance for any info.
        > >
        > >Suitcase

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
          I have one of these Staco's, the 10 amp model. Works like a dream. Great
          big winding and never seems to get too warm. Cuts my 1500 watt secondard
          element to exactly the right amount of heat. I paid $22.
          IMHO way better than some mickey mouse dimmer switch.
          At 10:14 AM 02/02/2005, you wrote:

          >suitcase, take a look at this i don't think you will find anything
          >cheaper.
          >
          >http://tinyurl.com/54g9j
          >
          >this is what levi is using and i use them too.
          >go to your local flea markets and you might get lucky and find one if
          >you know what to look for.
          >i bought mine on ebay for 30 bucks but just recently found 4 of them
          >at a flea market at 10 dollars each. i now have a life time supply in
          >stock
          >i also use them on my drill with a paint stirrer to dissolve sugar
          >and aerate and any thing else that you would like to operate at a
          >reduced vlotage.
          >
          >BR
          >

          >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
          >wrote:
          > > Depends on what you consider a fortune...I use a STACO ....got mine
          >at a
          > > discount but I think they are less than $200.....I have used mine
          >for 5-6
          > > years with no problems......thats about $2.78 a month...not a bad
          >investment
          > > as $150 couldnt buy mine today..:>)
          > >
          > > Levi
          > >
          > > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
          > >
          > > >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
          > > >Subject: [Distillers] Controller for Heating Element
          > > >What is a good type of controller for a 1500 watt 110 volt heating
          > > >element that doesn't cost a fortune and where can you get them ???
          > > >Thanks in advance for any info.
          > > >
          > > >Suitcase

          > > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
          > > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek Hamlet
          Victoria, B.C.
        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
            Exactly....this will give you complete and total control over your
            still....be careful and dont buy one of the 5A units.....I also run a small
            fan on mine and it stays cool while running 2-3 days
            continuously.....without the fan,if does get hot.....:>)

            Levi

            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
            >From: "bradr36" <bradr36@...>
            >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Controller for Heating Element
            >Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:14:43 -0000
            >
            >suitcase, take a look at this i don't think you will find anything
            >cheaper.
            >
            >http://tinyurl.com/54g9j
            >
            >this is what levi is using and i use them too.
            >>BR

          • Roderick Holmes
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
              Suitcase,
              I bought the surtronics pulse fired controller. I bought it online from England. I did not find anything else equivalent to this in the United States. It was around $50. You just have to mount it in a metal box to act as a heat sink. I am using it to control a 1500 watt, 110 volt element. Heavy duty light dimmers cost around $100 and are limited.

              Here is why I think you will like it better:
              It seems that you love this hobby as much as I do. Even though you want it to control a 1500 watt heater, I know you from reading your posts and know it is just a matter of time before you want at 2500 watt or larger 220 volt heat controller. The ones that they guys are telling you about are only good up to 10 amps at 110 volts. The surtronics controller will control up to 3500 watts.

              It is a bit of a pain to order as they want you to fax a copy of your order with credit card number to England. I had it in the mail delivered to me in 2 weeks, no problems.

              If you want more details, let me know and i will send them to you. There have been several posts on the sutronics controller. It is the best. Cost more but worth it.

              I have no surging and it controls the heat by turning on the voltage several times a second.

              Regards,
              Roderick

              Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
              I have one of these Staco's, the 10 amp model. Works like a dream. Great
              big winding and never seems to get too warm. Cuts my 1500 watt secondard
              element to exactly the right amount of heat. I paid $22.
              IMHO way better than some mickey mouse dimmer switch.
              At 10:14 AM 02/02/2005, you wrote:

              >suitcase, take a look at this i don't think you will find anything
              >cheaper.
              >
              >http://tinyurl.com/54g9j
              >
              >this is what levi is using and i use them too.
              >go to your local flea markets and you might get lucky and find one if
              >you know what to look for.
              >i bought mine on ebay for 30 bucks but just recently found 4 of them
              >at a flea market at 10 dollars each. i now have a life time supply in
              >stock
              >i also use them on my drill with a paint stirrer to dissolve sugar
              >and aerate and any thing else that you would like to operate at a
              >reduced vlotage.
              >
              >BR
              >

              >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
              >wrote:
              > > Depends on what you consider a fortune...I use a STACO ....got mine
              >at a
              > > discount but I think they are less than $200.....I have used mine
              >for 5-6
              > > years with no problems......thats about $2.78 a month...not a bad
              >investment
              > > as $150 couldnt buy mine today..:>)
              > >
              > > Levi
              > >
              > > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
              > >
              > > >From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
              > > >Subject: [Distillers] Controller for Heating Element
              > > >What is a good type of controller for a 1500 watt 110 volt heating
              > > >element that doesn't cost a fortune and where can you get them ???
              > > >Thanks in advance for any info.
              > > >
              > > >Suitcase

              > > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
              > > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Derek Hamlet
              Victoria, B.C.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                In a message dated 2/2/2005 2:56:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                pure95percent@... writes:

                I have no surging and it controls the heat by turning on the voltage several
                times a second.

                Regards,
                Roderick

                Well it's too late now I didn't get a chance to check my email this morning
                so today I bought a Lutron 1500 watt dimmer at an electric supply house for
                $60.00 I hope it will work for me. It's rated 12.5 amps I don't know if thats ok
                or not??? Any advice?? Thanks

                Suitcase

              • dean
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Roderick Holmes wrote:

                  >Suitcase,
                  >I bought the surtronics pulse fired controller. I bought it online from England. I did not find anything else equivalent to this in the United States. It was around $50. You just have to mount it in a metal box to act as a heat sink. I am using it to control a 1500 watt, 110 volt element. Heavy duty light dimmers cost around $100 and are limited.
                  >
                  >It is a bit of a pain to order as they want you to fax a copy of your order with credit card number to England. I had it in the mail delivered to me in 2 weeks, no problems.
                  >
                  >There have been several posts on the sutronics controller. It is the best. Cost more but worth it.
                  >
                  >I have no surging and it controls the heat by turning on the voltage several times a second.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >Roderick

                  Hi Suitcase,
                  I also have a Sutronics controller and I ordered mine here
                  http://www.sutronics.com/acatalog/BFM240_13__3_kw_Burst_Fired_Power_Controller.html
                  Just click *add to cart* and then click *check out now* and then fill
                  out the details clicking *next* to go through each of the pages. No
                  faxes needed. The specs are here
                  http://www.sutronics.com/acatalog/detail_bfm240_13.html
                  Hope that helps.

                  Dean.
                • Roderick Holmes

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:

                      > Well it's too late now I didn't get a chance to check my email
                      this morning
                      > so today I bought a Lutron 1500 watt dimmer at an electric supply
                      house for
                      > $60.00 I hope it will work for me. It's rated 12.5 amps I don't
                      know if thats ok
                      > or not??? Any advice?? Thanks
                      >
                      > Suitcase

                      Take it back. Get a refund. Tell 'em it's not siutable for the
                      job. You are entitled to a 'cooling off' period after purchase.
                      Buy a Sutronics controller.

                    • Roderick Holmes
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                        I second Harry's motion....

                        Roderick

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                          In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:28:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          gnikomson2000@... writes:

                          Buy a Sutronics controller.

                          To late already installed it.

                          Suitcase