Re: [Distillers] Building a Keg still

  • suitcase1499@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
      In a message dated 2/1/2005 4:51:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      unit_77@... writes:

      I have a few ideas of my own but any advice is
      welcome...also thinking of installing a drain plug in the bottom..anyone
      done this?...pros/cons?...thanks

      Levi

      I went to the plumbing supply store and got a 1" threaded female coupling SS,
      heating element screws right into it. And got 3/4" X 2" SS threaded nipple
      and a 3/4" gate valve. Took it to machine shop they cut the hole and welded em
      both in for $20.00 US

      Suitcase

    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks for the info...welding the female into the keg was the way I had
        planned to go...I work in a Tool and Die shop so the drilling and welding
        wont be a problem.....what size element do you use?...I was thinking of
        installing two...heat up with both then cut back to one........:>)

        Levi

        (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

      • suitcase1499@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
          In a message dated 2/1/2005 6:19:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          unit_77@... writes:

          heat up with both then cut back to one........:>)

          Levi

          Well I'm not sure I just built a new one I actually heated my keg with a
          propane burner. The new one I built is larger and rectanular shaped holds 30
          gallons and has 2 columns, So I've got to do some testing I'm thinking of using two
          1500 watts for heat up then cut back to one for running but I don't know that
          might still be to much heat I need to find some kind of thermostat, I was w
          ondering if a light dimmer switch would work ????

          Suitcase

        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
            No,I doubt the light dimmer would handle the amperage...unless it was for a
            BIG light....I use a 10AMP variable transformer.It controls the voltage from
            0 thru 100%.I plan to wire one element directly and run the other thru the
            VT....when the still is up to operating temp I will unplug the direct wired
            one...maybe the 'experts' can tell me if 1125 watts will be enough to keep a
            10 gallon wash 'cooking'....:>)

            Levi

            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
            >From: suitcase1499@...

            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Building a Keg still
            >Well I'm not sure I just built a new one I actually heated my keg with a
            >propane burner. , I was w
            >ondering if a light dimmer switch would work ????
            >
            >Suitcase

          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
              The main reason I dont want to use propane is...by the time I attach my
              column on top of the keg,then sit it on my burner,it wouldnt fit in my
              'stillhouse'......besides that,I like the efficiency and convenience of
              electricity......I seriously doubt an 'outside' heat source, is going to be
              as efficient as an inside source,where 100% of the heat is going into the
              wash....not simply sitting a keg on a propane burner anyways...thanks for
              the input...:>)

              Levi

              (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

              >From: David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@...>

              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Building a Keg still
              >why not use propane? in a larger boiler, propane may be the way to go, as
              >opposed to hours of kilowatts....maxtonnage

            • David W Lunsford
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005

                At 06:28 PM 2/1/05 EST, you wrote:

                >In a message dated 2/1/2005 6:19:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                >unit_77@... writes:
                >
                >heat up with both then cut back to one........:>)
                >

                >Levi
                >

                >Well I'm not sure I just built a new one I actually heated my keg with a
                >propane burner. The new one I built is larger and rectanular shaped holds 30
                >gallons and has 2 columns, So I've got to do some testing I'm thinking of
                using two
                >1500 watts for heat up then cut back to one for running but I don't know
                that
                >might still be to much heat I need to find some kind of thermostat, I was w
                >ondering if a light dimmer switch would work ????
                >
                >Suitcase

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Brandon Lee
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                  it's farily strait forward--if u live in the states
                  get three stainless 1" pipe couplings--the threads in
                  heater elements are the same--cut holes with a regular
                  hole cutting bit--the one with the .25" drill in the
                  center works best--u can braze or weld (which i
                  prefer) the two couplings to the keg--cut one more
                  hole at the bottom on the other side to install your
                  drain--
                  I have a 9" hole in the top of mine which makes it
                  easy to clean out--i use 1500 and 4500 watt
                  element--it takes approx. 30-40 minutes for your wash
                  to get up to temp-
                  Feel free to ask if more help is needed
                  your brother in the spirits
                  Blueflame 456
                  --- Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:

                  > Finally getting started building my beer keg
                  > still....it is a 15 gallon SS
                  > 'SanKey' type....I plan to install water heater
                  > elements...just looking for
                  > ideas as to how you guys may have done this or would
                  > have done it if you had
                  > it to do again....I have a few ideas of my own but
                  > any advice is
                  > welcome...also thinking of installing a drain plug
                  > in the bottom..anyone
                  > done this?...pros/cons?...thanks
                  >

                  > Levi

                  > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger!
                  > Download today - it's FREE!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Dave Lorimer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Look on ebay for dimmer switch and dimmer switches that will handle
                    1500 watts I am using one now and it works great.
                    I also use two eliments to start then unplug one.
                    1125 watts will work fine ,you may have to turn it down .

                    Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:

                    No,I doubt the light dimmer would handle the

                    >wondering if a light dimmer switch would work ????
                    >
                    >Suitcase

                    David Lorimer
                    bbmdave@...
                    bbmdave@...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                      In a message dated 2/1/2005 9:36:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      blueflame456@... writes:

                      i use 1500 and 4500 watt
                      element--it takes approx. 30-40 minutes for your wash
                      to get up to temp-
                      Feel free to ask if more help is needed
                      your brother in the spirits
                      Blueflame 456

                      Do you use the 1500 watt element at full power to run???

                      Suitcase

                    • Levi Langershank
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Turnig it down isnt a problem...what size wash do you normally
                        distill?...TIA...:>)
                        Levi

                        (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                        >From: Dave Lorimer <bbmdave@...>
                        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Building a Keg still
                        >
                        >1125 watts will work fine ,you may have to turn it down .

                      • Robert N
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                          http://home.insightbb.com/~benschoep/keg/sankey.htm

                          Hi Levi, you probably already know this but in the interests of safety, the
                          link above shows how to remove the spear on a sankey keg. We use a very
                          similar setup here in Australia. Fit the element/s as necessary, remembering
                          to keep them as low as possible in the keg as you don't need it to boil dry.
                          Use as big a gate valve as you can afford for the drain. It also needs to be
                          as low as, for obvious reasons. Remember when it's late at night an you just
                          want to drain the keg and put everything away, that spent wash will be hot
                          and you want it to drain as quickly as possible.

                          I have a thermometer in the top of the keg which I find quite handy. While
                          it's not a necessity, I can glance at it and see what the boiling
                          temperature inside the boiler is. This in turn lets me know where in the
                          batch process I am and when the tails should be coming through.

                          Get a piece of light plate and cut it out to sit on top of the keg around
                          the tower, you now have a place to sit the collection bottle. Make it stable
                          but easily removable.

                          Weld four plates (angle) on the base of the keg and screw 35mm (11/2")
                          castor wheels onto the plates. This makes it easy on your back to move
                          things around within the brew shed. Screw them on so replacement isn't an
                          issue when they wear out. Use an elbow pipe for the drain in the centre of
                          the keg, then a length of pipe to extend the drain out between the castors,
                          making the castor wheels big enough to keep the drain from fouling on the
                          ground.

                          If you are going to use an electrical fly lead, from a junction box mounted
                          on the side of the keg, then make sure the fly lead is long enough to reach
                          the power point that you plan on using.

                          Levi you haven't mentioned the diameter of the column you plan on using and
                          how you plan on joining it to the keg. I have used 4" triclover clamps and
                          recommend them as they allow support for the tower and I can just get my arm
                          inside the keg to clean it when necessary.

                          Think about a way of building in a site glass, you could weld a "T" onto the
                          keg near the base which goes out to the gate valve for the drain, position
                          the spare spigot of the "T" to point up, which you attach the site tube to.
                          The thermometer is at the top of the keg using the same type of "T" with the
                          spare spigot pointing down and in line with the bottom drain spigot. Join
                          the two spigots with some decent re-enforced clear hose.

                          Yours in spirit

                          Robert

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                            Thanks for the 'food for thought'.......

                            Levi

                            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                            >From: "Robert N" <dinks_c@...>
                            >
                            >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Building a Keg still
                            >Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:51:50 +1000
                            >Hi Levi, you probably already know this but in the interests of safety, the
                            >link above shows how to remove the spear on a sankey keg.
                            >Yours in spirit
                            >

                            >Robert

                          • Brandon Lee
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                              i have the 1500 watt on a dimmer that is used for a
                              vent fan from Grainger wholesale--model 4c933--it
                              handles 12 amps and works very well
                              --- suitcase1499@... wrote:

                              > Standard Time,
                              > blueflame456@... writes:
                              >
                              > i use 1500 and 4500 watt
                              > element--it takes approx. 30-40 minutes for your
                              > wash
                              > to get up to temp-
                              > Feel free to ask if more help is needed
                              > your brother in the spirits
                              > Blueflame 456
                              >

                              > Do you use the 1500 watt element at full power to
                              > run???
                              >
                              > Suitcase

                              > removed]

                              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                            • Brendan Keith
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                                I"ve read about removing the ball lock and spear from a Sanke American keg,
                                and am about to do it on the one that I have, but is there a process for
                                removing the works from a European keg?

                                Or is there no point. Just cut a big hole and clamp a bowl on top?

                                --
                                Brendan Keith
                                bkeith@...

                              • Levi Langershank
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                                  Regardless of what type keg you use,be sure to relieve the pressure
                                  immediately before you start drilling,cutting etc....relieving pressure from
                                  a 'dirty' keg today,dosnt mean there will be no pressure tomorrow...good
                                  luck...:>)