Re: pot still / yeast type and flavour

  • Snowblind Moose
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hello Derek,

      By mentioning other than turbo yeasts, I was implying that they
      generally produce less than 18% a.b.v. I used to make fruit mashes
      with ec1118 that were typically 12 - 14%. The way it effects the
      flavour of the distilled product is that the lower a.b.v would allow
      for more flavours. (obviously 40% alcohol allows for 60% "others",
      including flavour - 80% alcohol allows for 20% "others" and less
      flavour) The strength of your distilate (and therefore flavour)
      after one run through a pot still, has a lot to do with the strength
      of the mash (one "plate" if I understand the term correctly).

      This gentleman was looking for a way to keep the alcohol percent
      down, so the flavour percent could be higher.

      Ec1118 is a great yeast, and I guess with nutrients and in the right
      environment it can get as high as 18% - but it can be kept lower
      quite easily, and therefore makes an excellent "brandy" yeast.

      Cheers,
      -Tony

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
      wrote:
      > I'm a little confused. I can see how different yeasts have
      different
      > effects on the flavour of the mash. But, once you dump it in the
      still it
      > seems to be the flavor of the product has everything to do with how
      the
      > still is capable of working and how you run it.
    • fishonmil69
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 17, 2010
        I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof
      • Bryan Bornais
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 17, 2010
          You are asking very valid questions.

          Please join the sister site, New Distillers. You will find more answers to your questions there than are available here.

          It is mostly the same people, but the topics are more fitting.

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 18, 2010
            Hi there. In general to your questions, a Pot still is about taste and a Reflux is about neutral. One makes, whiskey, rum, etc;, while the other make Vodka, Gin, etc; You can get a very clean vodka from a pot still by doing proper cuts and re-distilling again and again. A thumper or doubler really help when making a higher proof neutral with a pot still. For instance:

            I make a sweet feed sour mash whiskey with a pot still. After cutting the Forshots, Heads, hearts and tails very carefully, I can produce a very smooth Sweet Feed Sour Mash Whiskey on one run of the still. The still has no doubler or thumper fitted and gives a great tasting whiskey that will only get better with aging.

            in answer to your question, with only the information provided, redistillation of 120 proof (60%abv) must be diluted with water so the the water content is greater that the low wines content. (60% water - 40% Low wines). Dilute your take off to 40%abv an re-run. If a whiskey is output then some of the taste will be lost, but not all. If it's a vodka your after then this process will only make it cleaner. Remember that proper cuts is the key here.

            Hope this helps and in future please tell us the output that you are after. Flavored or Neutrals....

            S.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fishonmil69" <fishonmil@...> wrote:

            > I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof

          • Moonshine
            Message 5 of 17 , May 4, 2010
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fishonmil69" <fishonmil@...> wrote:

              > I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof

              If you distill it slowly and separate the alcohol in 3 different cuts - using only the body. you should be OK with just one run. It will even become better in case you mature it using wood.

              Cheers.

              StillCooker - Still cookin'
              www.StillCooker.com
            • juliet kent
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2010
                What about this one?
                There have been no pot stills on trade me under $800.00 for months and now there are three in a row.  This one has some info with it.  Thanks so much for the info already posted.  Will probably go with the one already suggested but this one is half the price so thought I would ask.  Cheers, Ju
                20L pot still
                Comes with Heat element, 25L fermenting drum, Air Lock, Thermometer, alcohol hydrometer, a packet of turbo yeast, and some sterilizer.

                Everything you need to start brewing, minus the sugar of course

                Have used it a couple of times and then lost interest.
                From memory it produced alcohol at 60%

                Pick up only as there are fragile items.
              • just me
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Hi Juliet,
                  Here is a link to brewhaus.http://www.brewhaus.com/.I have only good experiences with the shop.I would recommend the hi capacity unit.It can be run as a pot still or reflux.I would stay away from the turboyeast.I stick to mum washs now.
                  Just Me
                  A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand
                  times the memory.