Re: Boiler & Heating Element Question

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      Is this a stripping still? If so, I don't think an imbalance
      between the columns will be too important. When a still head temp
      reaches 85C, turn it off.

      Sugar wash or grain? IMHO, a fully fermented sugar wash can take
      more power than a grain wash.

      Also, consider insulating the outside of the boiler.

      Mark

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498"

    • suitcase1499@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2005
        In a message dated 1/28/2005 8:31:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        markgofast@... writes:

        Is this a stripping still? If so, I don't think an imbalance
        between the columns will be too important. When a still head temp
        reaches 85C, turn it off.

        Sugar wash or grain? IMHO, a fully fermented sugar wash can take
        more power than a grain wash.

        Also, consider insulating the outside of the boiler.

        Mark

        Ok it's not a stripping still I usually try to just run once with my old one
        but haven't used this one yet, Both columns are the same exact 2" X 36" Packed
        with Copper pot scrubbers no reflux cooling tubes at all and both have liebic
        condensors, Also sugar wash Alcotec 48 about 20%abv very clear I let it
        settle for 2 weeks after fermentation was complete. I have no thermostat just an on
        and off switch so I'll have to watch temps close and just give it a couple
        test runs I guess. Gonna try to run on 1500 watts with both columns and see if
        that's to much heat for it to handle. Thanks for any more input.

        Suitcase

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
          If there is no forced relux I would leave both columns uninsulated,
          in fact I would leave the boiler uninsulated too at 1500W
          I am very interested in the outcome of this double column setup as I
          have thought of making one before with several columns.

          Peter