RE: [Distillers] Re: The Mash That Wouldn't Die!

  • Michael Ortmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
      OK, here is a little more information about my situation.

      8.6 kg of sugar in 22.7 liters total volume.
      (19 pounds in 6 gallons)

      Turbo Pure 48 Turbo Yeast (14-18%)

      Calculations on homedistiller.org say 1.144 SG and 17.37 liters of h2o. I
      did not measure this.

      I kept this in the basement. At this time of the year, it is about 11.66
      C(53F)

      The current SG is 1.07. I now have the wash at 21.1 C (70 F)

      I took 7.57 liters (2 gallons) out a couple days ago and distilled it -
      leaving 15.14 liters.(4 gallons).

      The surface is covered with tiny bubbles, I assume this means the yeast is
      still working. The wash is "cloudy".

      Calculations at homedistiller.org show 22.7% possible ABV.
      If I go by the hydrometer - start at 1.14 indicates 19% possible.
      Current 1.07 indicates 9%, the difference being 10%.

      First, why is there a difference between the calculator and the hydrometer
      potentials?

      Second, where do I go from here?
      It looks like I am at 10% or 12 % assuming the starting SG was 1.14.
      Wait it out and see what happens? Raise the temp by moving it next to a
      register? I still have it in a wine bucket with a lid that has a pressure
      relief - should I move it to a carboy and airlock it?

      This is my second sugar wash - the first was smooth sailing - (I used a
      different yeast - I'll look to see if I still have the envelope) so I am
      surprised at this one, but researching a bit it seems it isn't as easy as it
      sounds. Obviously, I need to measure and it would have helped to record some
      more information.

      I have a packet of vodka yeast, maybe I'll get that going today.