Re: champagne

  • ajdonnison
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for all the info Adam, appreciate it! How long does the 2nd
      fermentation gen take?

      It depends on a number of factors, but if you do a decent starter
      culture (i.e. it has nutrient in it ) then it will be completed within
      a week or two. However, the longer you leave it the better. Firstly
      it takes at least a month or two for the yeast to flocculate (clump
      together) enough so that when you open it, you don't end up with a
      cloud of yeast rising with the bubbles. More importantly, a lot of
      the flavours in champagne come from autolysis of the yeast (i.e. the
      dead yeast cells breaking down). The best champagnes are left on
      yeast lees for years.

      I tend to use wait at least 3 months and up to 6 months before I open
      either sparkling wines or ciders. Mind you I wait up to 18 months for
      non-sparkling fruit or vegetable wines.