Re: immersion heater advice

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ken hawkyard-gibson <oobruckner@...>
      To: Distillers@onelist.com <Distillers@onelist.com>
      Date: Saturday, February 05, 2000 8:07 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] immersion heater advice

      From: =?iso-8859-1?q?ken=20hawkyard-gibson?= <oobruckner@...>

      Hi all, I am just completing a stainless steel still
      based on the one in Ola Normans book
      (www.partyman.se). My boiler is of 28Ltrs capacity, I
      have installed a 21/4 BSP flange into it, this will
      take a 11inch immersion heater. The problem is the
      only immersion heater I can get off the shelf in the
      UK is rated at 3Kw 240V and will be far too powerful.
      Has anyone any ideas?
      Regards Ken

      Hi Ken
      First of all some data to bear in mind:
      Resistance of your 3000w element is 19.2 ohm (at heat)
      Mean current is 12.5 amp
      Peak current is 17.7 amp
      Now get yourself a power diode rated at 600v and 60 amp (or thereabouts -
      look in your Maplin catalogue. Use two or more in parallel if you cant get
      that current rating, bearing in mind the peak current it has to handle,
      allowing a comfortable margin of at least x3 max current and at least x2
      voltage.
      Shove it on a good heat sink and wire it in series with a 10 amp fuse (your
      UK plug will do)and the element.
      Wire in a switch across the diode - when closed you will get 3000w, and when
      open you will get 1500w
      To take it further, you might consider load shedding by inserting a matrix
      of ceramic resistors in series with the element. That way you make toast at
      the same time!
      Finally - having said all that, the average Brit kettle uses a either a 1.5
      or 2kW element. You can't get one???

      All the best,
      Mike