carbon

  • Phillip M-W
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001
      hi I was looking for something to filtra my final product through this is
      going to be my first ever run run the still is not finished yet but I
      resided to do some research into refining the finished product and I went to
      a water filter shop where they gave me all the cracked and broken filters
      that they have so I am stoked I have a shit lode of carbon filters now I
      knead to know the best way to use them.
      dose anybody know?

    • CHRISS seceret email
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 11, 2001
        Recent efforts using a 25ltr still bought from the homebrew shop using the original reflux colum in conjunction with "turbo clear" I have not see why i should carbon treat my spirit.  The spirit had no smell and no bad taste..kinda like after i had previously treated it.  I mixed the pirit down to 40% alchol added the flavouring and drank it straight away.  It was quite exceptable and did the job quite nicely.
      • Brian Adams
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
          Hi all,
          I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated carbon last night
          from a pet shop. The stuff i got is used for fish aquariums. it had no
          specifications stating what it was made from or anythging like that. has
          anyone had any experiance with anything like this, and will it work? also,
          how much of it do you need to put in a jar to store the alcohol with?

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
            Brian,

            > I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated
            > carbon last night from a pet shop. The stuff i got is
            > used for fish aquariums. it had no
            > specifications stating what it was made from or anythging
            > like that.

            Slacker has just posted this link to the "new distillers" list
            http://www.motherearthnews.com/askmother/mike.shtml

            In it you'll see that sometimes activated carbon is made from bone.

            Rumor one : aquarium carbon is sometimes this bone material
            Rumor two : bone carbon is not desired in alcohol
            I can't verify either of the rumours, but they may well be true

            Tony
          • Brian Adams
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
              to make things easy for me can one someone please sell me some good
              activated carbon that will work well for alcohol. i'm tired of searching.

              >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
              >To: "Distillers (E-mail)" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [Distillers] carbon
              >Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:49:21 -0000
              >
              >Brian,
              >
              > > I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated
              > > carbon last night from a pet shop. The stuff i got is
              > > used for fish aquariums. it had no
              > > specifications stating what it was made from or anythging
              > > like that.
              >
              >Slacker has just posted this link to the "new distillers" list
              >http://www.motherearthnews.com/askmother/mike.shtml
              >
              >In it you'll see that sometimes activated carbon is made from bone.
              >
              >Rumor one : aquarium carbon is sometimes this bone material
              >Rumor two : bone carbon is not desired in alcohol
              >I can't verify either of the rumours, but they may well be true
              >
              >Tony

            • Pete Sayers
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                No problem mate, where are you?
                Pete
                Brewers Barn

                to make things easy for me can one someone please sell me some good
                activated carbon that will work well for alcohol. i'm tired of searching.

                >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
                >To: "Distillers (E-mail)" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [Distillers] carbon
                >Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:49:21 -0000
                >
                >Brian,
                >
                > > I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated
                > > carbon last night from a pet shop. The stuff i got is
                > > used for fish aquariums. it had no
                > > specifications stating what it was made from or anythging
                > > like that.
                >
                >Slacker has just posted this link to the "new distillers" list
                >http://www.motherearthnews.com/askmother/mike.shtml
                >
                >In it you'll see that sometimes activated carbon is made from bone.
                >
                >Rumor one : aquarium carbon is sometimes this bone material
                >Rumor two : bone carbon is not desired in alcohol
                >I can't verify either of the rumours, but they may well be true
                >
                >Tony

              • Brian Adams
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                  ontario, canada. how much is it worth? could i have some specifications on
                  it please.

                  >From: "Pete Sayers" <brubarn@...>
                  >To: "Brian Adams" <br_adams@...>,
                  ><Tony.Ackland@...>, <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [Distillers] carbon
                  >Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:57:53 +1300
                  >
                  >No problem mate, where are you?
                  >Pete
                  >Brewers Barn

                • sstoli123
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 25, 2002
                    How many grams of carbon per liter of 40% ethanol(dilluted from
                    95%) are you guys / gals using? also any good place to get it in the
                    states?

                    Steve
                  • Lars Norberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002

                      What do you filter it with after the carbon treatment?

                      If you use a good enough filter it shouldn’t be a problem.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 20, 2002
                          Glen,

                          I'll describe the way I wash my carbon - see if you spot anything different from what you do ...

                          The carbon out of the packet is like little thin needles - about 4mm long and less than 1mm diameter; quite a bit of free dust is evident.

                          I boil the jug up - about 2L of water.

                          Add 1C of the carbon into a small saucepan, add enough boiling water to cover it well + 1cm over it, and boil it for about 5 minutes. Quite a scum of dust comes to the surface. Swirl the water & carbon around every so often. Let the carbon settle to the bottom, and tip off the scummy water. Repeat another two times.

                          by now the water is coming off grey / dark, but without a scum.

                          The next couple of rinsings I dont boil - just pour in the hot water, swirl it around to pick up any dust, then pour it off.

                          Quit when the wash-water is really clear.

                          Spoon the wet carbon straight into the storage container with the spirits.

                          Over the next weeks, when ever I walk past the container, I give it a slight "swirl", to remix the spirits & carbon.

                          When I come to decant the spirit off, its always clear, but I'm still careful to carefully tip it & not stir things up unecessarily.

                          As an aside, commercially if using the carbon, you'd prewet it (as we do), to ensure that all the pores are wetted, but you'd use the process fluid (eg spirits), not the dilutant (eg water). But all our washing etc is using water. Has anyone experimented with prewetting the carbon with alcohol before use, rather than water ? I guess this is more applicable to the guys using the carbon in a pass-through filtering system, not the sit-and-soak method.

                          Tony
                        • hexenwolfe
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 21, 2004
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Adams" <br_adams@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi all,
                            > I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated carbon
                            last night
                            > from a pet shop. The stuff i got is used for fish aquariums. it
                            had no
                            > specifications stating what it was made from or anythging like that.
                            has
                            > anyone had any experiance with anything like this, and will it work?
                            also,
                            > how much of it do you need to put in a jar to store the alcohol
                            with?

                            In my experience both with aquariums and with home distillation I have
                            found the aquarium carbon to be exclusively wood charcoal.It works
                            fine for filtering but is MUCH larger chunks than is the fine stone
                            carbon available from brew house suppliers. Aquarium charcoal MAY be
                            treated with added chemicals to facilitate the removal of amine
                            nitrates. If you purchase UNTREATED aquarium filter carbon it is both
                            safe and resonably effective. Just off the cuff, I would expect to
                            double the filter time due to the larger particle size (reduced
                            surface area) when using aquarium carbon.
                          • Sven Pfitt
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 21, 2004
                              Almost all the charcoal at the local "Pet Smart" is specified as made
                              from Bituminous coal "Because it offers the best combination of
                              hardness, pore size, and surface area for maximum effectiveness in
                              water purification."

                              YMMV.

                              Always read the labels. It is fun and educational.

                              Sven

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hexenwolfe" <hexenwolfe@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Adams" <br_adams@h...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Hi all,
                              > > I just purchased 2 260g boxes of granuallar activated carbon
                              > last night
                              > > from a pet shop. The stuff i got is used for fish aquariums. it
                              > had no
                              > > specifications stating what it was made from or anythging like
                              that.
                              > has
                              > > anyone had any experiance with anything like this, and will it
                              work?
                              > also,
                              > > how much of it do you need to put in a jar to store the alcohol
                              > with?
                              >

                              > In my experience both with aquariums and with home distillation I
                              have
                              > found the aquarium carbon to be exclusively wood charcoal....snip...
                            • William Thompson
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 22, 2004
                                I bought a plastic jar of bituminous stone carbon from
                                petsmart to give a whirl in my juice. The carbon
                                itself is in cylindrical pellets approximately
                                1.0-1.4mm x 5-10mm (Wild ass guess, for I didn't break
                                out the measuring stick). I read that carbon processed
                                for aquariums is much less refined than carbon for
                                purifying alcohol and may contain some adulterants
                                used during it's creation, like spent acids and such.

                                I took the entire jar and dumped it into a boiling pot
                                of water for about an hour. Afterwards I cooked it in
                                the oven at about 350F for another half hour, or until
                                it was dried. After the first use, following the
                                directions for any other stone carbon, it seemed to
                                work well and really sweetened up my tail-end batch,
                                removing nasty off flavors.

                                Just make sure to filter it real good ... coffee
                                filter is NOT enough. There was still a very fine
                                carbon sediment on the bottom of my bottle despite
                                several filterings. Finally I loaded the bottom of my
                                funnel with a cotton ball and the top with a coffee
                                filter. Drip, drip, drip for about an hour and a half
                                (but well worth the added wait), until I removed a
                                cotton ball than was gray-black on one end and white
                                on the drip end.

                                Good drink!

                                --- Sven Pfitt <the_gimp98@...> wrote:
                                > Almost all the charcoal at the local "Pet Smart" is
                                > specified as made
                                > from Bituminous coal "Because it offers the best
                                > combination of
                                > hardness, pore size, and surface area for maximum
                                > effectiveness in
                                > water purification."
                                <<SNIP>>

                                Yahoo! Domains � Claim yours for only $14.70/year
                              • David Lunsford
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 22, 2004
                                  At last, evidence that the aquarium carbon is safe to use, maybe a bit
                                  more crude.....Dave

                                  At 05:06 AM 5/22/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                                  >I bought a plastic jar of bituminous stone carbon from
                                  >petsmart to give a whirl in my juice. The carbon
                                  >itself is in cylindrical pellets approximately
                                  >1.0-1.4mm x 5-10mm (Wild ass guess, for I didn't break
                                  >out the measuring stick). I read that carbon processed
                                  >for aquariums is much less refined than carbon for
                                  >purifying alcohol and may contain some adulterants
                                  >used during it's creation, like spent acids and such.
                                  >
                                  >I took the entire jar and dumped it into a boiling pot
                                  >of water for about an hour. Afterwards I cooked it in
                                  >the oven at about 350F for another half hour, or until
                                  >it was dried. After the first use, following the
                                  >directions for any other stone carbon, it seemed to
                                  >work well and really sweetened up my tail-end batch,
                                  >removing nasty off flavors.
                                  >
                                  >Just make sure to filter it real good ... coffee
                                  >filter is NOT enough. There was still a very fine
                                  >carbon sediment on the bottom of my bottle despite
                                  >several filterings. Finally I loaded the bottom of my
                                  >funnel with a cotton ball and the top with a coffee
                                  >filter. Drip, drip, drip for about an hour and a half
                                  >(but well worth the added wait), until I removed a
                                  >cotton ball than was gray-black on one end and white
                                  >on the drip end.
                                  >
                                  >Good drink!
                                  >

                                  >--- Sven Pfitt <the_gimp98@...> wrote:
                                  >> Almost all the charcoal at the local "Pet Smart" is
                                  >> specified as made
                                  >> from Bituminous coal "Because it offers the best
                                  >> combination of
                                  >> hardness, pore size, and surface area for maximum
                                  >> effectiveness in
                                  >> water purification."
                                  ><<SNIP>>

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • tyrone_ss
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 23, 2004
                                    Of course it is safe. There are folk with thousand dollar aquarium
                                    setups full of high dollar exotic fish. There is no way anything
                                    about any of it is toxic, good grief! I can pour a few liters of
                                    diluted 40% over a carton of that ammo-carb stuff and in a couple
                                    days I have no smell at all. I have yet to find a cardon that will do
                                    this. Carbon (to me) is too damn hard and takes a lot of time to
                                    absorb anything. When I try to filter through that high dollar
                                    carbon, I can pour it through about as fast as I like and it will go.
                                    Its slow to take it with what I use. To each his own I guess. I have
                                    not killed anyone yet

                                    Ty

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>