unsubscribe

  • Alexander Hofmann
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 16, 2001
    • OsneyP�rez
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 18, 2001
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 18, 2001
          Osney,

          NOT to the regular posting address.

          Tony
        • colt
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 30, 2001
            unsubscribe

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 14, 2001
              unsubscribe
            • Adam.Antczak
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 16, 2001

                From: Matt
                Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 6:09 PM
                Subject: [new_distillers] book recommendation: Murray, Complete Guide to Whiskey

                I've been reading a great reference book on whisk(e)y by Jim Murray _The
                Complete Guide to Whiskey: Selecting, Comparing, and Drinking the World's
                Greatest Whiskeys_.

                This book opens with a nicely done history and summary of whiskey
                manufacture, including some details like still design, malt details, etc.
                It then goes on to whole sections on Scotch, Irish Whiskey, Bourbon, Rye,
                and Canadian Whiskey.  These sections include a historical summary of these
                regional variations and then proceed right into a particular distillery,
                the region, and the offerings from that distillery.  Each distillery entry
                has some individual detailed background information and finishes with some
                tasting notes.

                It finishes with a glossary and an index.  This is a packet reference book,
                with a flexible bookmark-style cover.  This presumably makes it convenient
                to carry around, possibly while you're driving the around the moors of
                Scotland on a tasting tour...not something I'd recommend...leave the
                driving to someone else ;-)  For reading at home, though, it's not that
                comfortable a read since the type is fairly small and not as dark as it
                should be.  So read it under a good strong lamp while sipping a favorite
                malt or blend.

                But for $12 US (on Amazon anyway), it's got some serious bang for the buck.
                I bought one for a whisk(e)y-loving friend of mine and I think it will make
                a great gift!

                Murray, Jim
                _The Complete Guide to Whiskey: Selecting, Comparing, and Drinking the
                World's Greatest Whiskeys_
                208 pages (April 1997), Triumph Books
                ISBN: 1572431512 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.77 x 7.34 x 4.19

                Tego nie znajdziesz w zadnym sklepie!
                [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]

              • Adam.Antczak
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 16, 2001

                • Jon.Tereszkiewicz@med.va.gov
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 16, 2001
                    unsubscribe
                  • adam antczak
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 23, 2002

                      Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 12:39 AM
                      Subject: [Distillers] Connection of Column to Boiler

                      This should have been the subject of my previous post

                      Encyklopedia multimedialna w prezencie!
                      [ http://www.e-mail.onet.pl ]

                    • Cary Humber
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 28, 2002
                        i would like to unsubscribe from the group. thanks

                      • dale lindsey
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 6, 2002
                          Please unsubscribe me

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 7, 2002

                            please unsubscribe me

                          • pfitzner@austarnet.com.au
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 31, 2002
                              Please unsubscribe me for the News Group

                              Thanx
                            • Boulder Books and Brews
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 18 6:30 PM

                                Thanks

                              • ed montforts
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 30, 2002
                                  please unsubscribe from digest. I chose to receive e-mails.
                                  Ed

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 26, 2002
                                    HI COULD YOU PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME
                                    THANKS

                                    From: BOKAKOB <bokakob@...>
                                    2. Turbogist in Nederland ( Dutch info)
                                    From: "lapsnuit" <lapsnuit@...>
                                    3. still spirits still
                                    From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
                                    4. wonder if you could make that kettle into a still
                                    From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
                                    5. Re: Questions about Gin
                                    From: "Michael" <god@...>
                                    6. Re: Seal Material
                                    From: "Tim Kovac" <castrumnovum@...>
                                    7. Re: still spirits still
                                    From: "Michael" <god@...>
                                    8. Fwd: still spirits still
                                    From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
                                    9. reflux still origins
                                    From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
                                    10. Re: Re: Questions about Gin
                                    From: "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@...>

                                    Message: 1
                                    Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
                                    From: BOKAKOB <bokakob@...>
                                    Subject: Re: Seal Material

                                    Hi, ogzo46!
                                    The temperature for "O"-rings is not a problem at all. The heat should not
                                    rise over 100 or so degrees Centigrade. I don't thnk it will affect the
                                    process. The chemical composition should be fine too. If in doubt, I would
                                    seal the exposed to the alcohol path area with aquarium grade clear silicone
                                    caulking. However, try first. Perhaps it will not leach any chemicals. I
                                    think a good test would be to soak these "O"-rings or whatever you are going
                                    to use separately in various solvent solutions. If it stays intact there is
                                    a good probability it is fine.
                                    ogzo46 wrote:Hi Guys,
                                    You can't get more newby than me, I have been drinking Malt
                                    whisky for about 15 years and have decided to try and fake a
                                    reasonable whisky, I know it's a lot harder to make the real thing!!
                                    I'm a welder by trade so stainless is not a problem,I'm going to use
                                    fittings and pipe from surplus winery work,but the 'O' rings have me
                                    worried, can they take the heat and are they OK for alcohol? I have
                                    seen them used at TARAC distillery in the Barossa.
                                    Regards Eric

                                    [This message contained attachments]

                                    Message: 2
                                    Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:48:05 -0000
                                    From: "lapsnuit" <lapsnuit@...>
                                    Subject: Turbogist in Nederland ( Dutch info)

                                    Vanaf heden leverbaar uit voorraad de nieuwe 24 uurs gist van
                                    Alcotec. Kijk op www.turbogist.nl

                                    Ook voor ander gisten en essences.

                                    This is a informational message for dutch speaking people.
                                    It is about turbo yeast availability in the Netherlands.

                                    Sorry for the Dutch language.

                                    Message: 3
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:07:56 +0930
                                    From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
                                    Subject: still spirits still

                                    Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits stills? I
                                    saw one once have been unable to find it again.

                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:12:21 +0930
                                    From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
                                    Subject: wonder if you could make that kettle into a still

                                    [This message is not in displayable format]

                                    Message: 5
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:39:21 -0000
                                    From: "Michael" <god@...>
                                    Subject: Re: Questions about Gin

                                    --- In Distillers@y..., "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@h...> wrote:
                                    > Hi all,
                                    >
                                    > I tried some experimenting last night with distilled water and
                                    > liquid lecithin as was recommended.
                                    >
                                    > First experiment: I made up a 750 ml bottle with gin and I used
                                    > distilled water. The gin only had a slight cloudiness to it.
                                    > More like a bluish tint with a slight haze. Heading in the right
                                    > direction.
                                    >
                                    > Second experiment: Once that bottle was done, I tried the liquid
                                    > Lecithin as recommended from the newsgroup. The gin became even
                                    > more cloudier than the bottles that I done before. Experiment
                                    > failed in my mind.
                                    >
                                    > Other suggestions or solutions?
                                    >
                                    > Joe

                                    Hmm, don't know why that didn't work (scratches head). Maybe its
                                    because you need to increase solubility into alcohol, not into water.

                                    Another suggestion is that oils dissolve more readily into an
                                    alkaline solution than an acidic solution. Maybe add a little bi-
                                    carb to reduce acidity? You have to remember that you can only
                                    increase the solubility slightly, so if you have way too much oil in
                                    suspension, nothing will help.

                                    Salts and trace minerals can also aid in dissolution of oil. Have
                                    you tried using tap water instead of distilled?

                                    Message: 6
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:11:23 +1000
                                    From: "Tim Kovac" <castrumnovum@...>

                                    The name of "O" ring material is "Viton" but and the name could be different
                                    in each country
                                    Any "o" ring supplier or Hydraulic Cylinder catalog lists different
                                    materials for different applications.
                                    Choose "high tempereture" "high pressure" and "mineral oil resistant"
                                    material and it will outlast your still.
                                    Regards,
                                    Tim

                                    >From: "ogzo46" <ericoz@...>
                                    >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: [Distillers] Seal Material
                                    >Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:49:26 -0000
                                    >
                                    >Hi Guys,
                                    > You can't get more newby than me, I have been drinking Malt
                                    >whisky for about 15 years and have decided to try and fake a
                                    >reasonable whisky, I know it's a lot harder to make the real thing!!
                                    >I'm a welder by trade so stainless is not a problem,I'm going to use
                                    >fittings and pipe from surplus winery work,but the 'O' rings have me
                                    >worried, can they take the heat and are they OK for alcohol? I have
                                    >seen them used at TARAC distillery in the Barossa.
                                    > Regards Eric

                                    Message: 7
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:18:41 -0000
                                    From: "Michael" <god@...>
                                    Subject: Re: still spirits still

                                    --- In Distillers@y..., "spiritual" <warranty@p...> wrote:
                                    > Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits
                                    stills? I saw one once have been unable to find it again.

                                    Do you mean a reflux or a pot still?

                                    I have a still spirits reflux still. My first mod to it was to
                                    seperate the water supplies to the cooling jacket and the condenser.
                                    Eventually I found that the cooling jacket is not necessary. The
                                    still works just as well without it IMHO. The best mod to make to
                                    this still is to extend the column. What I have done is to get
                                    myself a metre of 2" copper pipe. To this I have added a copper cap
                                    end to each end. I have drilled a hole in each cap, and tapped a
                                    1/2" BSP thread. I bought a 1/2" nipple, and two lock-nuts to suit.
                                    One lock nut I use down the bottom to attach to the boiler, the other
                                    to lock the nipple into the cap at the top. The nipple at the top
                                    will screw into the original head.

                                    You can go further and turn this into a Nixon-Stone style still, but
                                    I haven't got to that yet.

                                    Here is a link to the plans of what I have done.

                                    Mike G

                                    Message: 8
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:46:19 -0000
                                    From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
                                    Subject: Fwd: still spirits still

                                    Msg 5937 gives an example, together with previous suggestions.

                                    Wal
                                    --- In Distillers@y..., "spiritual" <warranty@p...> wrote:
                                    Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits
                                    stills? I saw one once have been unable to find it again.
                                    --- End forwarded message ---

                                    Message: 9
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:14:39 -0000
                                    From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
                                    Subject: reflux still origins

                                    Possibly the origin of the reflux column still goes back to the 15th
                                    century. In 'De arte conficiendi aquam vitae simplicem et
                                    compositam', written by Michele Savonarola (1384-1462), a professor
                                    at the University of Padua, he gives a description of the still and
                                    suggests that the column should be as tall as possible, because the
                                    further alcoholic vapors are made to travel, the more impurities they
                                    lose. See cross section of still:
                                    http://cipriani.com/cipriani/Grappa/distillazionee.htm

                                    Also see 'The Begginnings'
                                    http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_beginning.htm
                                    'Distillation'
                                    http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_distillation.htm
                                    and Fig 7 in 'Production'
                                    http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_production.htm

                                    Also useful is 'Distillation in Alambic' at the 'Essential Spirits
                                    Alambic Distilleries' site:
                                    http://www.essentialspirits.com
                                    Click on 'History of Distilling'

                                    Wal
                                    The modern improvements are the restriction of reflux cooling to only
                                    the top of the column (still not by everyone!), and the use of plates
                                    or packing in the column.

                                    Message: 10
                                    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:42:10 -0300
                                    From: "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@...>
                                    Subject: Re: Re: Questions about Gin

                                    I haven't tried our tap water yet because is has a sulfur smell to it. The
                                    first batch I made I used spring water which turned the gin cloudier than
                                    the distilled water.

                                    I'll try some bicarb to see if those results are any better. Some one also
                                    recommended super clear, used for clearing wines. Would that work?

                                    I'll take everyones suggestions and experiment with each. I noticed when
                                    the alcohol content was around 50%ABV the gin started to turn cloudy. If I
                                    leave the ABV higher than 50% the gin remained clear.

                                    Thanks again.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
                                      please unsubscribe from digest.
                                    • Zeke Jones
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 3, 2002

                                        I'll do my best but am making NO promises!!   :>)

                                        >From: ed montforts
                                        >To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com"
                                        >Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:14:05 +0200
                                        >
                                        >please unsubscribe from digest.

                                      • Robert N
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 5, 2002

                                          Now Zeke your not taking the piss out of poor old Ed are you?

                                          Have a great day!

                                          Robert