Re: immersion heater advice

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2000
      Ken,
      Are you sure your BSP flange is 2 1/4" or is this a typographical
      error on your part? Correct size for the UK should be 1 1/4" BSP I believe.
      (It certainly is for NZ). As previously suggested I suggest you use an
      independently switched 3kw element for the initial booster heater, and a
      1200 - 1500 watt element for the main element. Depending on column size
      (diam, and height) and insulation of column and reboiler this element could
      even be as low as 1kw for this size. If you cannot get less than a 3kw one
      off the shelf I suggest you use a kitchen kettle element although this will
      have to be fitted from the inside which means you will need access.
      (Advisable as you will need to clean the boiler out properly from time to
      time anyway). If doing this I suggest you replace the normal rubber washer
      between the element and the wall with a teflon one.
      The answer here like most problems is to think laterally and come up with a
      better alternative solution. Also as Telecom here says in relation to use of
      the Yellow Pages "Let Your Fingers Do The Walking". From my time in the UK I
      doubt that elements less than 3kw are not available. You just havnt asked
      the right people. There are also undoubtedly quite a number of independent
      manufacturers who will custom make you an element as well. Hope this helps.
      If you get stuck send me an email and I will advise further.
      Best regards, David Reid nzag@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2000
        Hi all, I am just completing a stainless steel still
        based on the one in Ola Normans book
        (www.partyman.se). My boiler is of 28Ltrs capacity, I
        have installed a 21/4 BSP flange into it, this will
        take a 11inch immersion heater. The problem is the
        only immersion heater I can get off the shelf in the
        UK is rated at 3Kw 240V and will be far too powerful.
        Has anyone any ideas?
        Regards Ken

        Hi Ken
        First of all some data to bear in mind:
        Resistance of your 3000w element is 19.2 ohm (at heat)
        Mean current is 12.5 amp
        Peak current is 17.7 amp
        Now get yourself a power diode rated at 600v and 60 amp (or thereabouts -
        look in your Maplin catalogue. Use two or more in parallel if you cant get
        that current rating, bearing in mind the peak current it has to handle,
        allowing a comfortable margin of at least x3 max current and at least x2
        voltage.
        Shove it on a good heat sink and wire it in series with a 10 amp fuse (your
        UK plug will do)and the element.
        Wire in a switch across the diode - when closed you will get 3000w, and when
        open you will get 1500w
        To take it further, you might consider load shedding by inserting a matrix
        of ceramic resistors in series with the element. That way you make toast at
        the same time!
        Finally - having said all that, the average Brit kettle uses a either a 1.5
        or 2kW element. You can't get one???

        All the best,
        Mike