RE: [Distillers] oak aging

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
      NOT the best way but this works for me...:>)
      Dilute ,carbon treat and filter distillate if desired/needed....place
      distillate in a container along with the Oak....how much you use will be a
      matter of personal preference.....IMPO,non-toasted Oak gives a more mellow
      flavor but,again,thats just my opinion....dont treat all your distillate at
      once....if you get it too 'dark' (for lack of better term) you can add
      un-treated distillate to 'lighten' it up.....from my experience,a little
      goes a long way.(1/4- cup per 5-6 gallons is a reasonable starting
      point)..you can always add more...experiment to 'zero in' on what you
      like...keep notes,unless your memory is better than mine...good luck...:>)